Feelin' pretty good about this ...

Help Support CattleToday:

WalnutCrest

Reaction score
Our first attempts at ET happened this past spring.

We flushed one of our girls and put five fertilized eggs in the tank. Flushed her again, and put all three in recips. Two took. One was sold if it was a bull calf.

Got the results today -- one bull calf and one heifer calf in utero.

The recip with a fullblood bull calf is heading to Illinois soon and our new recip with the fullblood heifer is sitting in our front yard.

:nod:

Tentatively planning on sending the donor in for a couple more flushes this fall ... giddy up!

Today is a good day to be in the cattle business.

Depends on if you have a brand-name shop do the work ... or a local professional who can do it at your place or his ... or if you're doing it yourself (in which case, your cost is your time and semen).

It's more of a PITA than costly. Unless it doesn't work, then it's costly too.

So, I guess, like a lot of things ... if it works, it pencils out pretty well ... and if it doesn't work, then it was a pretty stupid idea in the first place.

Congrats! No better feeling than when you get good results. Our first attempt was a PITA. :)

Thanks for the comments above.

gizmom":1baa84dg said:
Did you flush a cow that you raised or one you purchased? What is the breeding of the donor and who did you flush her to? I am glad you had good success with your flush.

Gizmom

The cow that was flushed was purchased last year when she was about 3yrs old. She was the result of an embryo that was imported from France and is a fullblood Aubrac (i.e., 100% Aubrac). She was flushed to another fullblood Aubrac bull who's semen was imported from France via their bull test station (the only French bulls approved for export are their top few bulls in their grass-only bull station tests).

If that's not the information you were looking for ... and you were looking for information on specific Aubrac bulls ... then this is a bit more specific ---- the donor is a daughter of Ushuaia AIA and she was flushed to Andalou AIA. If you don't know Ushuaia AIA, he is a son of Lioran AIA, and his mother is a 3/4 sister to Orfevre AIA. Most French herds will have a son of Lioran and/or Orfevre running around in their pastures...both are/were very excellent bulls. Andalou AIA is a curve-bending bull in terms of width and depth of frame (i.e., his linear measurements for his width and depth characteristics are three standard deviations above the breed norm). Ushuaia and the bulls behind him are known for their elite maternal traits and above average length and width. Ushuaia, Andalou, Lioran and Orfevre are known for having well-behaved calves.

We have an excellent 2014-born heifer on the ground who was sired by Andalou and is out of the half-sister to the donor (the half-sister was also imported as an embryo, sired by Ushuaia AIA). We liked the combo and want to repeat that here and now, hence the flush and fresh implant of the donor and Andalou. We also AI'd all of our fullbloods to Andalou for the 2015 calf crop (including AI'ing the mother of the Andalou-sired heifer we liked back to Andalou again in hopes of getting another heifer).

The donor cow will be flushed to Andalou AIA again this fall (as well as 1-3 other bulls). Another one of our cows has been purposefully held out of production to be flushed later this year; she'll also be flushed to Andalou (and 2-6 other bulls).

...or at least that's the plan now...

There just aren't that many Aubrac females in North America ... the fastest way to get them on the ground is via ET work. We have around twenty different French fullbloods (plus several US-bred fullbloods) we'll be using in our ET and AI programs in the coming years.

If I still didn't answer your question, LMK.

:)

That answered the question, I love hearing how different cattlemen approach their genetic goals. It sounds like you have a plan and your on track to reach your goals :clap: :clap: :clap: I don't know anything about the breed but I now have a better understanding of your goals and how you plan to achieve them.

Gizmom

gizmom":1xeocyol said:
That answered the question, I love hearing how different cattlemen approach their genetic goals. It sounds like you have a plan and your on track to reach your goals :clap: :clap: :clap: I don't know anything about the breed but I now have a better understanding of your goals and how you plan to achieve them.

Gizmom

Specific goals? Regarding phenotype, maybe it gives a hint ... but having cattle that consistently produce wide, long and deep cattle with high maternal traits is only scratching the surface. :)

The most difficult part of our plan is that we taste-test everything that gets butchered ... in fact, we have multiple people tasting each beef ... so we get to know which ones are performing in the pasture AND which ones are performing on the plate. We're hopeful to be able to identify bulls and cow families who consistently outperform others in both arenas.

I forgot to post a picture of Peaches the Recip. She's a sweetie. :)

WCCC_Peaches_-_002_-_2014_09_13.jpg

if it weren't for the logistical nightmare, I'd get an embryo for Mega to raise... I know she'd be awesome at it :)

Hope all goes well with your work!

I'm going to see how Mega does with a Limo, I think it is a good match for her actually. She's already into it a good 4 months

Latest posts