Feel bad for the kid

Help Support CattleToday:

Bek":1a840hi0 said:
Fair enough 7 times out of 10 the adults may have the better steers, but us kids put in as much work as they do. It's just a lot of the time we can't afford what they can.

Do adults show steers in your country?

Australian Cattleman":148vo3nu said:
Speaking of cheating and judges etc. Earlier this year at three of the local shows that I attended. A young lady showed a very nice Murray Grey cow with a robust male calf at foot supposed to be 8 months old (which is the calf age limit) The cow went onto win 2 interbreed awards and was way down the line at the other show. The astute judges (ha ha) remarked about the male calf going on to grow into a very nice bull. Ha ha the calf was a steer. The judge at the show where she was placed down the line knew how to judge (even if he only gave my good South Devon bull runner up in the interbreeds)
Hate cheats, I've known of breeders having calves every 6 months out of favourite cows.
Colin

That's funny. A couple years ago, my son was showing a cow/calf pair. He was in front of a young judge one day, that everybody there believed had been influenced, gave the reason for not using the cow/calf pair for grand or reserve, was because the bull calf at her side was too femine(sp?) looking, well I should hope so, because the calf at side was a heifer. Well when he stepped into the second ring, the judge in that ring announced very loudly that he was using the cow/calf pair for grand champion because she had a very femine(sp?) HEIFER calf at her side. Some very interesting looks were exchanged between the two judges when he said it.

mom

aplusmnt":1ufafj2y said:
Bek":1ufafj2y said:
Fair enough 7 times out of 10 the adults may have the better steers, but us kids put in as much work as they do. It's just a lot of the time we can't afford what they can.

Yeah adults are the ones predominately showing steers here. I've looked at posts where you guys(the americans I assume) have said there's age limits on what you can show, here anyone can show anything.

Bek":3um7pfll said:
aplusmnt":3um7pfll said:
Bek":3um7pfll said:

Yeah adults are the ones predominately showing steers here. I've looked at posts where you guys(the americans I assume) have said there's age limits on what you can show, here anyone can show anything.

I am sure somewhere out there adults might show steers here in America, but I have never seen it. Steer shows in our area are for 4-H and FFA youths. Adults show breeding stock.

aplusmnt":3pc3p96u said:
Bek":3pc3p96u said:
aplusmnt":3pc3p96u said:
Bek":3pc3p96u said:

I am sure somewhere out there adults might show steers here in America, but I have never seen it.

Yes, adults show steers/bulls/heifers here, but it is predominately in breed specific shows/sales.

Herefordcross":8aj6p91q said:
I felt bad for him I offered him a black steer for next years fair and I haven't heard anything back from him yet. People can be so cruel and mean. It's hard to compete at a county fair where doctors and lawyers are buying their kids $4,000 and $5,000 steers to fool with and then they are paying guys to secretely "implant" the living daylights out of them with ralgro.

Yes, people can be - and usually are - very mean and cruel. Kudos to you for offering, but after the humiliation this kid suffered it doesn't surprise me that you haven't heard from him. It's a bad situation and I'm very, very sorry he had to experience this. I'm not a big believer in 4-H because of the reasons you've laid out.

Herefordcross":3d7c4cr1 said:
Our county doesn't have a dairy beef catagory. There's a family, one of three, that still has a dairy here and to put it plain and simple they are so broke it ain't funny. Their grandson took an almost all black holstein steer to the fair in the market steer catagory and everyone knew he would get torn up in the class and he did, and the judge made him look like a real arss when he was doing his judging. When they sold the market steers at the end of the fair they couldn't even get a bid on it, It made me wanna cry. I felt bad for him I offered him a black steer for next years fair and I haven't heard anything back from him yet. People can be so cruel and mean. It's hard to compete at a county fair where doctors and lawyers are buying their kids $4,000 and $5,000 steers to fool with and then they are paying guys to secretely "implant" the living daylights out of them with ralgro. I won't even tell you where they implant some of these jokers at on their bodies because it works and nobody knows the difference!

Curious to know in what way was the judge mean to the kid?

The upside is in situations like this the old saying "what doesn't kill you will make you stronger" usually applies. I had some negative things happen when I was young, and as I look back now I know that they were the main motivation that led to me having 5 full time employees working for me by the age of 20.

aplusmnt":17hy8u9b said:
Bek":17hy8u9b said:
aplusmnt":17hy8u9b said:
Bek":17hy8u9b said:

I am sure somewhere out there adults might show steers here in America, but I have never seen it. Steer shows in our area are for 4-H and FFA youths. Adults show breeding stock.

At our fair we have a 4-H steer show and an open class steer show. The open class is open to anybody doesn't matter where,who,or how old you are. The steers are shown by breed. We also have open class breeding.

Over here we don't have a 4-H, and the steers are shown all together, in a Lightweight & Heavyweight class. So it seems there are a few differences in the 2 countries, you learn something new everyday I suppose

Cheers,
Bek :D