Feedlots?

Help Support CattleToday:

Tman

Reaction score
So, I am new to the cattle world. Bought calf cow pairs, when the calfs get older do I send the steers to a feed lot or sell them outright ? I want the maximuim return, heard you talk about feedlots and hedging but don't have a clue.

Thanx

Typically calves are weaned at about 7 months old. At this time most are sold at local livestock auctions. If there is a market in your area for fed beef, and you have access to inexpensive feed, you may be able to sell a few calves at a heavier weight. I've tried about every method..I've lost money and made money...Watch your cost..those nice fat slick calves will run up abill in no time...best to raise a good calf on it's mother's milk and let it go..

If you are going to raise to slaughter size watch you feed cost and you better have a good market for the finished product. Most years in Maine, we can get almost as much for 700lb's calves as ones ready to butcher. You better check what your local markets wants and pays the best price for. We have a decent feeder market in the Maine Beef producers co-mingled sale every year.

This is very true. The ROA on a per-pound basis diminishes very quickly once they get past weaning age. An extra hundred pounds of animal will not bring much to the bottom line. Generally you would come out ahead putting the same grass into another momma cow and selling calves at weaning, or after preconditioning, depending on how you do it.

Craig-TX

Craig-TX":1zo4x9v7 said:
This is very true. The ROA on a per-pound basis diminishes very quickly once they get past weaning age. An extra hundred pounds of animal will not bring much to the bottom line. Generally you would come out ahead putting the same grass into another momma cow and selling calves at weaning, or after preconditioning, depending on how you do it.

Craig-TX

Craig,

This is what I keep hearing from most people. I see you are from Central Texas, myself San Antonio. I know one guy out in Lytle who works the feedlots and is rolling in the cash. Unfortunately his lips are sealed, I know there has to be a way to make a living at this.

Latest posts