FEEDLOT MUD BUILD-UP

Help Support CattleToday:

DOC HARRIS

Reaction score
I am sure we have all had problems with mud in feedlots! - - like 'walking out' of your boots and having them stay in the mud, to say nothing of the misery on the cattle! Here is a web-site which addresses that problem, and how to minimize at least some of those troubles! http://www.oznet.ksu Click on Publications and type MF2316. Here's "Mud in your eye!" :shock:

Doc, I see several things I need to change now. This looks like there are some good ideas to follow here. I am going to check it out a bit more when the sun goes down. I hate to work cattle in the mud and I do not like them standing in it either. Thanks for sharing the site.

Chuckie":1k1t1xzc said:
Doc, I see several things I need to change now. This looks like there are some good ideas to follow here. I am going to check it out a bit more when the sun goes down. I hate to work cattle in the mud and I do not like them standing in it either. Thanks for sharing the site.
:) :D *My pleasure, Chuckie!

DOC HARRIS":3y2j6r0v said:
Mike - Stay in the middle when you are "ridin' them Bulls - and keep away from the HORNS!" ( Just a little "Poll" advice there :shock: :lol: )
DOC

Roger that Doc - I'm actually done for this season - had two bad wrecks and my cover rate's been dismal. Might as well just give my entry money to my buddies and save myself the emarassment. So I'll be riding the hay bale and the buckin machine for practice, maybe a couple practice pens every now and then. I'm wearin out my Lane Frost Bull Talk video tape <grin>.

Mike Bishop - http://www.flbullrider.com

flbullrider":2dghf7ci said:
DOC HARRIS":2dghf7ci said:
Mike - Stay in the middle when you are "ridin' them Bulls - and keep away from the HORNS!" ( Just a little "Poll" advice there :shock: :lol: )
DOC

Roger that Doc - I'm actually done for this season - had two bad wrecks and my cover rate's been dismal. Might as well just give my entry money to my buddies and save myself the emarassment. So I'll be riding the hay bale and the buckin machine for practice, maybe a couple practice pens every now and then. I'm wearin out my Lane Frost Bull Talk video tape <grin>.

Mike Bishop - http://www.flbullrider.com
We have been to Mesquite several times in the last few years, but I don't know if I have seen you ride or not. TOUGH sport - too tough for me! :shock:

I don't have a feedlot per se, but we do feed out calves both to precondition and for slaughter. We try to place the feeding area at the top of a slope; cover the ground with geotextile fabric and then cover that with crusher run gravel 4-6 inches deep. It does seem to work for bunk feeding and at watering areas, but when we put hay rings on this, since the cows spend so much time in one place eating and dropping manure , we still get a muddy mess requiring periodic scraping just so the cowboy (me) doesn't get stuck in the mud when cutting the wrap of the bales. I'm working on the problem.

Billy :?:

Latest posts