Feedlot finishing vs stockyard

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have read info concerning the finishing of cattle in feedlots. I have 65-70 angus cattle. I normally sale at a stockyard at 6-700 weight. I am weighing the retained ownership thru feedlot finishing. Any thoughts about costs, especially hidden (trucking, etc.) or would it be better to video auction? Would be shipping from E Tennessee to a feedlot. How have any persons who have retained ownership come out on prices vs feeding/trucking expenses verses selling video or stockyard? I've never done this and am exploring the possiblities. Thanks

[email protected]

stockyard vs. video. video has become a great tool and it might be for you. It is best to have a full 48000 to 50000 lbs. load and best if they are all strs or hfrs.. Light loads and mix loads always sell for a little less. Also, your cattle need to be fairly even or that can hurt also.

as far as feeding goes. I have had great success, but, It has taken a lot of effort. Securing a good price is your biggest concern. Seems like if the market moves against you it is very unforgiving. If you have a feedlot in mind, they can probably run a breakeven for you. Most feedyards try to make 25 to 35 cents per head per day on their customers. Hidden cost? processing at the feedlot usally runs $9 t0 $12 per head. Death loss will average 1%, It is just a fact of life that you will have a dead. If your cattle have not been vaccinated talk to the feedyard crew to see what they recommend. If you send unvaccinated cattle to a feedlot you will see a very high medicine bill and probably a 2-4% death loss. Trucking has been running around $2-2.10 per loaded mile. Right now our cattle have been feeding for around .47 / lbs. gain with feed yardage and processing. Performance has been good this winter with gains from 3.5 to 4.0 per day.

I wish you great luck what ever you decide.

Have you checked with your Extension office? In many states, they run a retained ownership program for small cattle producers. I'd be surprised if Tennessee didn't have such a program. Here in Oklahoma it's called the OK Steer Feedout; you must enter 5 head, but can send 500 if you've got them (steers only). In Texas it's called Ranch to Rail. The Extension office can probably give you some figures on cost, etc. It was a real learning experience for us. We got feedlot performance information, carcass data, one got sick so we learned about that, too. Overall we were very pleased with what we made on the cattle. Good luck….

> I have read info concerning the
> finishing of cattle in feedlots. I
> have 65-70 angus cattle. I
> normally sale at a stockyard at
> 6-700 weight. I am weighing the
> retained ownership thru feedlot
> finishing. Any thoughts about
> costs, especially hidden
> (trucking, etc.) or would it be
> better to video auction? Would be
> shipping from E Tennessee to a
> feedlot. How have any persons who