Feedlot fencing

Help Support CattleToday:

As I understand it, a lot of concrete companies pour their leftover concrete into molds at the end of the day and that is how they sell them so cheap. It is essentially waste material that would otherwise be unused.
That's they way to used to be. The concrete companies up here figured out that guys bought them. I priced some new ones pre Covid and they were $80/block.
The guys that do our excavator work also owns a concrete crusher. So they bought all the concrete at an industrial business that was going to be demoed.
It was a very much "right place at the right time " purchase.

I got a quick quote from GoBob for material to do a cable fence, which included at their recommendation 3" pipe all around and 3/4" cable. Not including enough pipe to do a top rail along the posts and no hardware for terminations was at $10,500. Probably add a couple thousand more to get everything needed.

I really do like the continuous fence and the ease of install. I may have to do wood posts to save some money since they are less than half of the steel. The good ones I buy will and should last 15-20 yrs or more.

Continuous fencing would be the best. If not that I'd go with stay tuff 949-6-330. I'd also want a pipe top rail. Maybe build a really stout recieving pen then build holding pens not quite as strong.

Continuous fencing would be the best. If not that I'd go with stay tuff 949-6-330. I'd also want a pipe top rail. Maybe build a really stout recieving pen then build holding pens not quite as strong.

I'm leaning more towards guardrail for the receiving and working pens, then continuous fence for perimeter of pens and maybe a good woven wire between pens. Seems to be most economical.

I'm leaning more towards guardrail for the receiving and working pens, then continuous fence for perimeter of pens and maybe a good woven wire between pens. Seems to be most economical.
Do you have a supplier for the guard rail?

I got a quick quote from GoBob for material to do a cable fence, which included at their recommendation 3" pipe all around and 3/4" cable. Not including enough pipe to do a top rail along the posts and no hardware for terminations was at $10,500. Probably add a couple thousand more to get everything needed.
How many feet was that for?

Not at the moment.

1,170 ft which isn't didn't count a receiving pen or working area.
There's a local guy that has a business replacing guard rails on bridges. He sells the old ones but I've never stopped by and ask his price.

We always figured $2/ft or less was a fair price for high way guard rail. Cattle guard rail isn't nearly as heavy.

Holding 100 5 weight calves could be a circus. I've seen calves that size clear a 6' plank fence and destroy wire fencing. I'm currently building a new set of work pens and have decided to go nuts and build 8' tall. I'm using pipe posts and rails for the crowding areas and guard rail for the larger areas. I see guard rail all the time on Craigslist. That seems to be best local source here in southeast Texas.

I'm in the process of building a small receiving/ feeding pen for my background calves. I'll keep them in it for 3 or 4 weeks before I turn them out. I'm using continuous panels. When I bought these last year they were $110/panel. I could have gotten them for $100/ panel had I bought 20 or more of them. The price on them now is $170/ panel for less than 20. $160/ panel for 20 or more. I like the continuous panel ease of install. Reading this post though has got me to thinking about the concrete block idea for certain areas. Guardrail is another good option. I can't find any for sale in my area. With the way things are now days it might come down to what materials you can get as to what you use to build your pens. Please post pictures of your progress. I enjoy looking at other peoples setups. It does however usually lead to me spending more money on my own. haha

I have worked in a couple feedlots and been in other ones. I have never seen wire used in a feedlot. Always steel. You can install wire but in a very few years you will be replacing it with steel in one form or another. Even if they don't attack the wire over time they will rub it down.

I have worked in a couple feedlots and been in other ones. I have never seen wire used in a feedlot. Always steel. You can install wire but in a very few years you will be replacing it with steel in one form or another. Even if they don't attack the wire over time they will rub it down.
My wife always tells me I 'overdo' things as is. I'm sure whichever way I go, it'll be done right.

The whole cost to get these pins built, plus the purchase of a tmr and feed storage, has be wondering if I would be money ahead to run them on pasture. To run the number I want, it would limit my hay ground, but I could always buy it. Fencing on my farm (recently bought), is all good and the previous owner was running cow/calf and backgrounding on it.

Definitely higher margin on pasture if a fair amount is available. More opportunity for a large number of smaller margins in a backgrounding pen though, so the backgrounding pen may be more total profit.

Could do both! It is a benefit to always be in the market. You can background in the winter and pasture in the growing season.

Latest posts