Feedlot fence line

Help Support CattleToday:

shaz

Reaction score
Guys,
I'm about to put in 100ft of bunk space with J bunks 30" tall in the back. Question is how high the cable should be over back of the feeder?

Also, is there any reason to have the cable/rod hang out over the middle of the bunks? I've seen a design like that and it didn't seem like a good idea to me but I've never done this.

Sorry, I misread that. If you put the cable over the back, it's going to be in the way for the guy doing the feeding/mix wagon, no?

Farm Fence Solutions":277ho7z2 said:
Sorry, I misread that. If you put the cable over the back, it's going to be in the way for the guy doing the feeding/mix wagon, no?

As you're facing it from the outside. The back is next to the fence.

shaz":2rqqjdgf said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2rqqjdgf said:

As you're facing it from the outside. The back is next to the fence.

Is that your left or my left? :lol: If it was mine, I'd want it adjustable. I've seen some offset towards the middle of the bunk, and I suppose the theory would be more leverage to keep a calf from weaseling through. I would thing that just a few inches of offset would be plenty.

i'm about to do the same thing and I was just going to put some cable or boards on the 'inside' of the feeder toward the cows. that way the entire feeder would be open to the outside.

where are you getting your bunks and how much are you paying?

I would like to come up with a way to feed round bails so I would never have to drive the tractor in the lot where the cows are. Kinda like a fence line feeder. I just haven't came up with the right idea yet

pricefarm":2u3dh4b0 said:
I would like to come up with a way to feed round bails so I would never have to drive the tractor in the lot where the cows are. Kinda like a fence line feeder. I just haven't came up with the right idea yet

That's an easy one. Three sides inside the fence with a feeder rail and an 8' gate on the fourth side. Concrete would be helpful around here.

pricefarm":mv8pdbwf said:

here you go

http://www.edenshalefarm.com/

ddd75":7y96dti9 said:
pricefarm":7y96dti9 said:

here you go

Thanks pretty good ideas. Might have to try it

ddd75":3a3bwwhv said:
pricefarm":3a3bwwhv said:

here you go

I'll definitely use that setup! Solves a major problem.

I kinda do the same not nearly as fancy. Up here if you drive in a lot to feed in spring or late fall you water canals that are a nightmare to fix. I made a gravel pad set bunk inside the fence and a little drive off my driveway to it. Works great no mud coming over the Axel and huge ruts to fill in. It's also kinda nice not to open a gate.

I like the idea of not driving in a muddy lot.
The feeding slots looked too wide, and they showed hay left in the middle. What is the advantage of more than 6' wide?
I would go 5.5' wide by 12' and load three 5x4 bales.
Not sure why you need a gate?

Stocker Steve":o04z3593 said:
The feeding slots looked too wide, and they showed hay left in the middle. What is the advantage of more than 6' wide?
You've never had a calf get in the hay ring??

M-5":1biy17x1 said:
Stocker Steve":1biy17x1 said:
You've never had a calf get in the hay ring??

Good point.

Stocker Steve":913jxfan said:

in the article they say that feed was left because they were on grass and just fed a few last bales.. they said they cleaned it up well and could reach all the hay all winter.

Those are slick setups! I will be trying one of those. Is there any advantage to having the cattle stand on concrete other than not having to fix the indentations that there front feet make? Keep toes worn down?

https://youtu.be/MTCwYM8-fsE This is a design I found a year or so ago. I really like the set up. My next one will be Crete something based off this design size may change some but I like that I could clean manure around bunk. That's always the messiest and usually were the muds the worst. I think fabing up feed panels wouldn't be to bad to slide together otherwise I know a company in Montana that builds then. They call it the purple feeders fairly slick ideas especially when dealing with mud

Latest posts