Feedlot downers

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Every winter after a long stretch of cold weather we end up with cattle being down. Usually but not always they melt down with their back down hill. If we roll them onto the other side they can get up. Problem being if they ever lay on that side again they neeed help getting up. I use Dex,banimine,and Vitamin E on these cattle and as arule seems to help.They are not brainers! <br>Seems more like nerve injury or pulled tendons more than anything. This question is for Vicki.Do you or have you seen this condition and do you have a solution?
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

I haven't seen that specific situation, since the animals which end up like that around here are either bloated or found dead, so I congratulate you on finding them alive. I'd probably be a bit presumptuous to suggest that muscle damage along with pressure on the nerves, whether spinal or peripheral is the reason for the ongoing problem on the same side. Dex + banamine can really ulcerate the abomasum, so I'd use a bit of caution there....<br>Are the animals knuckling on the down side? Any abnormal eye motions? Any weakness or ataxia (staggering)? I'd also suggest that you ensure you're not low on serum phosphorus, since that could be something which starts this problem. Vit E and adequate Se will help with the muscle damage, but can't eliminate it. Have I helped at all??<br>PS The land around here seems to be to the extremes of very flat or VERY hilly. That may be why they're found dead most of the time!
<br>

[email protected]

I appreciate your input but I am still looking for an answer. No they do not stagger when we flip them over. They can get up on their own and walk off as if nothing happened unless of couse they have been down long enough to bloat slightly. <p><br>but usually there is no problem except for if they lay on that side again we have to help them up. <br>The eyes are clear, no symptoms of encyph, no knuckling. So you can see why I am so perplexed! I am checking into the phos you mentioned but I am inclined to believe,since we have to watch our calcium and potasium levels so close because of the ration we feed, that this is not the problem. Could be but we monitor trace minerals closely and send in liver samples to go along with our health history of a particular pen, just to see if we can find a connection between BRD and mineral programs before arrival. : I haven't seen that specific situation, since the animals which end up like that around here are either bloated or found dead, so I congratulate you on finding them alive. I'd probably be a bit presumptuous to suggest that muscle damage along with pressure on the nerves, whether spinal or peripheral is the reason for the ongoing problem on the same side. Dex + banamine can really ulcerate the abomasum, so I'd use a bit of caution there....<br>: Are the animals knuckling on the down side? Any abnormal eye motions? Any weakness or ataxia (staggering)? I'd also suggest that you ensure you're not low on serum phosphorus, since that could be something which starts this problem. Vit E and adequate Se will help with the muscle damage, but can't eliminate it. Have I helped at all??<br>: PS The land around here seems to be to the extremes of very flat or VERY hilly. That may be why they're found dead most of the time!
<br>

Latest posts