Feedlot Data

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Just received feedlot data on some Char calves.
Disappointed in Quality grades but pleased with Yield grades.
17 Heifers and 20 Steers:
Average live weight-1220.75 lbs.
Average HCW-786.75
Average REA-12.85 sq. in.
Largest REA-15.99 sq. in.
Smallest REA-11.67 sq. in.
Average Yield Grade-2.12
Average Yardage/Meds/Feed Cost-$221.02
Average Days on Feed-153
ADG-3.46
Feed Efficiency-4.53
Quality Grade-52% Choice 48% Select
Avg Backfat-.2588 in.
No CAB's :lol: No Angus Pride :lol:
All Pinknose

Mike C thats not to shabby..I lean toward quality grade but I can see the place for yield cattle to. It takes both kinds to satisfy everbody. I just wonder iof those cattle were ultrasounded or just eye sorted?? Id never 2nd guess anybodys feedlot manager but it makes you wonder if another 50 days would have helped or hurt...take them closer to 1400 without giving up much adg and conversion..wonder if it would ahve helped the qg without giving up to much on the yield side. But that would be over 200 days..long time unless there calf feds. Good job...those cattle made some money...dont try to tell me differnt. :lol:

Good work Mike. That is a nice pen. 42cent all cost is going to make money most of the time. I (unlike tape) will second guess the decision to cut their throat. I think another 30 days sure wouldn't have hurt unless there were some heavies in there you were afraid of a discount on. You had plenty of YG cushion .

ollie'":2h4g0v2l said:
Good work Mike. That is a nice pen. 42cent all cost is going to make money most of the time. I (unlike tape) will second guess the decision to cut their throat. I think another 30 days sure wouldn't have hurt unless there were some heavies in there you were afraid of a discount on. You had plenty of YG cushion .
Thanks
Harvest dates are computer calculated. Best I can figure they were worried about a big knock for some carcass weights. It's all calculated on profit. I guess it works. But I'll never know if it didn't.
These calves were awful young to kill. Avg'd about 15 months.

I raised heck a few years ago because some were fed too long. Wonder if they plugged that into the equation? LOL

Funny thing is, I only made about $50 over the "Estimated Value" they appraised at on arrival over and above shipping costs. Had I ordered the "Shear Test" I would have about broke even as selling them for feeders. Make sense?

Trucking was $33 bucks a head when they went. Wonder what it is now???

Don't know much about Chars, but isn't that live weight a little low for the breed? I thought they finished at heavier weights. If so, this may have something to do with your quality grades.

lakading":2puecll9 said:
Don't know much about Chars, but isn't that live weight a little low for the breed? I thought they finished at heavier weights. If so, this may have something to do with your quality grades.

The calves WERE very light compared to my registered calves and the cows were culls from the registered herd and treated rough. It showed in the weaning weights.

The steers were a good bit heavier than the heifers.

MikeC":tysg5gpg said:
Just received feedlot data on some Char calves.
Disappointed in Quality grades but pleased with Yield grades.
No CAB's :lol: No Angus Pride :lol:
All Pinknose
MikeC:
where did you send them?

Latest posts