FeedingOutHoilsteinSteers

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I would like to feed out 3 hoilstein calfs i would get them right off bottle? I no they need hay and grain But how much hay and grain do i feed em i plan to feed whole corn and i got a good supply of hay. They will be in a stall untile the weather is good is they can out to pasture the pasture that they will be on is about 10 acres but i own 50 and can swap pastures to them i also was goin to buy a round bale and put that outside to them when they go in pasture and buy a trace mineral block any advice would help thankyou?

When they're weaned, the dairy gradually switches them from a calf starter grain to straigth cracked corn free choice along with hay. He slaughters them at abour 1600 months.

I really don't know how much hay I'll let someone else answer that...But I would feed 14% protein... I was really impressed how much weight my cows put on with it... How much do they weigh that depends on how much to feed...

dun":211pk4zz said:
When they're weaned, the dairy gradually switches them from a calf starter grain to straigth cracked corn free choice along with hay. He slaughters them at abour 1600 months.

Dun I sure hope 1600 months is a typo. :lol:

tom4018":3vjul81a said:
dun":3vjul81a said:

Dun I sure hope 1600 months is a typo. :lol:

should have been 16.00 months

with todays corn prices you might want to be a bit strategic on when you finish them. In an ideal world if you can leave them on pasture during spring and summer and not be investing in corn during that time you'll be ahead of the game. I think I have figured out that during the severe cold and severe heat that the gains slow down considerably on the holsteins. try to target finishing in either april-june or sept-nov to get the most bang for your buck on corn costs. The little buggers will eat you out of house and home.

My beef breed calves seem to just crank right along and show the benefits of feed but the holsteins seem to be more reactive to the weather issues. May be all wet and i don't mind feeding but i want to see return on it.

Get the best hay you can find for them also.

so free choice hay and just whole corn will work but just let them pasture and eat hay through summer then when i want to finish them out feed them free choice corn?

Depends on the hay, fine leafy alfalfa grass mix with the cracked corn would be OK. If the hay is average or below I would add a little protein to the corn.

so i really aint got a answer lol free choice and how much corn do i feed? Im a chicken farmer i run layer house i dont no much on catlle yall

I would go with cracked corn they can get the nutrition out of it better whole corn can go right through them...Again I don't know how much hay but the amount of corn depends on how much they weigh... You don't want to founder them!!!

so i really aint got a answer lol free choice and how much corn do i feed?

This is my second year finishing beef. I still don't have ananswer to that. You can ask 10 people and you will get 10 different answers.

I can tell you what I do. I feed mine on a weight basis. I figure the weight of the calves and then feed them 2% of that. I don't have a very large pasture so they get fed more grain than roughage. I would also recommend adding a protein/vitamin supplement to the cracked corn.

kenny thomas":2m39yr58 said:
As a chicken farmer can you guess what one of the cheapest feed protein additives is? Chicken litter, but that is a whole different discussion.

Is it still legal? There was one company a few years ago mixing chicken litter, corn and bakery by-products to make a 16% ration.

TexasBred":3smklehl said:
kenny thomas":3smklehl said:
As a chicken farmer can you guess what one of the cheapest feed protein additives is? Chicken litter, but that is a whole different discussion.

Is it still legal? There was one company a few years ago mixing chicken litter, corn and bakery by-products to make a 16% ration.

If it is still legal it shouldn't be. It's not legal here.

Birch get a hold of a nutritionist and they will help you develop a feeding program..

BTW Holstein beef is awesome.. :)

I would suggest feeding a little grain while they are pastured, not necessarily 2% of their body weight but just enough to get them to walk up so you can check for signs of sickness. Also, don't use a trace mineral block, they often lack minerals that the animals would need; instead use loose minerals that are specifically formulated for you area.

Latest posts