feeding

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Could someone tell me how much grass hay I should feed two heifers in the winter with limited pasture land? I have been told one quarter to half a bail and I do not want to over feed them. They are both pregnant and due in March. I am new to the cattle industry and need some adivse. Thank you

[email protected]

If it's average grass hay, all they will eat

dunmovin farms

> Could someone tell me how much
> grass hay I should feed two
> heifers in the winter with limited
> pasture land? I have been told one
> quarter to half a bail and I do
> not want to over feed them. They
> are both pregnant and due in
> March. I am new to the cattle
> industry and need some adivse.
> Thank you

> Half a bale sounds close, you could put out more they will eat what they need. You will notice if they are wanting more to eat, they will be out hunting for forage. We feed all of our cows/hefiers hay out of hay racks and hay feeders(eat what you want) and have never had any problems. One of the main problems feeding more may be the wasted hay they would leave. Hope this helped you out. Good luck.

[email protected]

>1/4 - 1/2 bale? Now are you talking about small squares, large squares, large rounds or what? Normally about 30 lbs per critter per day is a good place to start. If you don't want to feed free choice then start with what lppks right. If they clean it all up, give more the next day if they don't clean it give less. In colder weather they'll need more. Just give them all hey want without wasting more than is necessary. Could someone tell me how much
> grass hay I should feed two
> heifers in the winter with limited
> pasture land? I have been told one
> quarter to half a bail and I do
> not want to over feed them. They
> are both pregnant and due in
> March. I am new to the cattle
> industry and need some adivse.
> Thank you

Thank you all for the helpful information. I want to do the right thing and have been told that cows can overeat and then you have to release some gas in them. I do not know, I just want to keep thm happy and healthy so the mama's and calves are strong.

[email protected]

The gas problem you're referring to is bloat. Unless you are feeding very hot grain mixture, fresh alfalfa or clover the problem ery rarely comes up.

dunmovin farms

> Thank you all for the helpful
> information. I want to do the
> right thing and have been told
> that cows can overeat and then you
> have to release some gas in them.
> I do not know, I just want to keep
> thm happy and healthy so the
> mama's and calves are strong.

Latest posts