Feeding

Help Support CattleToday:

Your cows will only work as had for you as you do for them.
I feed Purina wind & rain mineral year round. The cows live in grass all summer, then mid September I start green chopping corn so I can save my hay for winter. I calve in March. From Nov through March I feed 25lbs of corn silage, 10lbs corn stalks, 20lbs good mixed hay, and 1/2lb of Purina balancer per Hd per day. In January they start getting 2lbs of shell corn, and in February I upped it to 4.7lbs Hd/day.
I chopped 10 acres of silage and it is going to end up saving me almost 100 round bales this year!

And I use good mineral, stockpile fescue for the winter and spend very little on anything else.
I'm sure you have very good calves but I'm not sure what the profit difference is. Not saying I'm right but it's what I do.
I'm hoping to graze 325 -330 days next winter.

kenny thomas said:
And I use good mineral, stockpile fescue for the winter and spend very little on anything else.
I'm sure you have very good calves but I'm not sure what the profit difference is. Not saying I'm right but it's what I do.
I'm hoping to graze 325 -330 days next winter.

Iam thinking of selling some cows and running fewer hoping to graze longer. I have feed way to much hay this winter. How many acres per cow are you running?

I make sure I got all my salt blocks out and if the pasture is keeping up I don't feed out hay but if needed I do. I feed grain daily just so the cows know bthe grain bucket. Just insurance I suppose

Newrancher2020 said:
kenny thomas said:
Newrancher2020 said:
I am running 1 an acre
Are you running 1 per acre year round? Very good job if you are. I can't do that.

For the most part I do

That what I run 1 pair per acre. I had to start feeding hay around the first of December and will feed probably to around April. I might cut back to 1 pair per 2 acres. I have several old cows and a couple crazy ones that might get sold and not replaced

pricefarm said:
Newrancher2020 said:
kenny thomas said:
Are you running 1 per acre year round? Very good job if you are. I can't do that.

For the most part I do

That what I run 1 pair per acre. I had to start feeding hay around the first of December and will feed probably to around April. I might cut back to 1 pair per 2 acres. I have several old cows and a couple crazy ones that might get sold and not replaced

I'm still not sure where the profit between feeding hay all winter or grazing less numbers is break even. But I hate feeding when it's so nasty out.
It's very different to graze 8 months as you say and get to 11 months. I can get 10 months pretty easy but 11 is very hard.

I feed my cows about 2.5 lbs. of ground corn the year round. they are out on pasture when available from May until snow flies. I figure it is a lot easier to have the cows come to me during the summer so I can check for pinkeye or any other health problems that may come up. feed free choice mineral year round and feed good quality hay in winter when my calving season is (December-February.)

pricefarm said:
Newrancher2020 said:
kenny thomas said:

For the most part I do

Does the one pair per acre include the acres it takes to grow hay? That's fantastic if it does.

kenny thomas said:
pricefarm said:
Newrancher2020 said:
For the most part I do

Does the one pair per acre include the acres it takes to grow hay? That's fantastic if it does.

No that's just grazing. What two months do you feed hay?

If it's a good year I plan on feeding 2-3 weeks in December. Start grazing stockpile Dec 20. It should last till late February. Feed 5-6 weeks till April 5. That's when I try to turn out. By that date I can move through the paddocks every couple days and it will still be ok.

kenny thomas said:
If it's a good year I plan on feeding 2-3 weeks in December. Start grazing stockpile Dec 20. It should last till late February. Feed 5-6 weeks till April 5. That's when I try to turn out. By that date I can move through the paddocks every couple days and it will still be ok.
I'm going to attend 6 grazing classes this year begining tomorrow night. Maybe I can get more days of grazing next year.
I ask what they were going to talk about and some of it was Grazing 300. Supposed to help people toward the goal of grazing 300 days a year. I told them I would have to stay after class because I'm going to try to get 325 days this year.

kenny thomas said:
kenny thomas said:
I'm going to attend 6 grazing classes this year begining tomorrow night. Maybe I can get more days of grazing next year.
I ask what they were going to talk about and some of it was Grazing 300. Supposed to help people toward the goal of grazing 300 days a year. I told them I would have to stay after class because I'm going to try to get 325 days this year.

What do you think about feeding hay the month of September and maybe into October? That way all the pasture can grow and maybe spread out some N to give it a boost?