Feeding young bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

talltimber

Reaction score
I think I have dropped the ball somewhat on the yearling bull I bought last fall. He stayed in pretty good flesh all winter, I fed him a little along, and relatively good through the summer. He's an AI bull that Dad had kept from the previous fall. He's coming a two year old and will have his own set of cows coming in Dec. if he tests good.

Problem, if there is one, he's not really grown all that much. He's grown some but he's half to two thirds the size of the herd bull (7 yo) and they have similar breeding - Sitz Alliance. The old bull is a ggrandson, iirc, and the young bull is a son. The youngster has good bone and feet I think, but he's not going to be as long as the old bull I dont think. I was anticipating him being very close in appearance to the old bull. I don't know if it was the lack of regular graining, or if it's just it is what it is?

What's your process for developing bulls? I am looking at weights of the seed stockers, and I don't think that is realistic for me, or maybe him being fed even. I don't know what he will weigh, maybe 1300 or so, idk. I am currently giving him a little grain every two or three days, about 5 lbs or so, and giving the old bull a couple of pounds (fed separately) to build them up a little for the testing and a Dec 15 ish turnout.

Any thoughts?

3waycross has a good program for his, I do believe he feeds a fair bit more grain, but they have to walk a good long way to the water, so they get muscle from the excercise.

Our Limo bull is 2 1/2 years old and I don't think he's filled out really yet either. When we got our Gelbvieh he was 2 years old and he looked TINY.. a couple years later he started to really look good.

At two years old, he should be looking good and filled out, but not like your old bull. Quite a difference between a 7 yr old and a 2 yr old. I got a 2 yr old Limflex bull that looks good now, cant wait until he's 3 or 4.
Also, with the BSE, in the future, they can do them as early as a yearling or 14-16 months to see where he stands.

Some breeds, and even certain lines within a breed are slow bloomers. Usually a bull that is underfed while growing is pretty obvious. You have said that both bulls have the same sire. What were the cows like? Was the 2 yr olds dam a first calf heifer? Did you have the older bull as a 2 yr old also? Though nutrition plays a big role, there are other factors to consider also.
Can you post pictures?

He was bse'd last fall and was good to go.

This bull was an AI calf out of one of Dad's better cows, not a heifer, I have her and I think she is 5 or 6ish. I don't have it in front of me. The old bull was raised by a neighbor, registered herd. I don't know when they bought him, I would assume about that age. I haven't talked to Dad about him. He is a very docile and easy handling bull. The young bull is too, although occasionally he'll look sideways at me, which I attempt to correct at every opportunity.

I will try to post some pics of them when I get my pictures on my computer from my phone. I do better with Tapatalk, but we'll see. I may have to text some to someone to post with a Photobucket account or something.

young bull above
old bull

Never mind the weeds. It's the result of a misunderstanding of what stockpiling is supposed to be. :lol2:
I think the weather and the little dab of feed he's getting is helping him some.

Thank you. I am going to cut some a few cows out for him come December and see how it goes. Dad thought maybe I should sell the old bull and just use the young bull this fall, but I don't want to put all my eggs in that basket yet. Why, I don't exactly know, funny feeling? I will have them both tested beforehand anyway.

He is less masculine than the older bull, but that is to be expected at his age. By the photos, he looks just as tall......
I would just be sure he is wormed well and add more protein to his ration. He looks as though he will continue to fill out for you.

Maybe the experts in nutrition will chime in with some suggestions. If you can not grain everyday, maybe a protein tub would be of benefit....???

Everything here has free access to loose mineral and protein tubs year round.

He was wormed in April ish, and in July, I believe because he wouldn't shed off and was not looking very slick. I am going to run them all through for fall vaccines/wormer next month, so it's coming up.

Are you using injectable or tube worming? (Pour on not effective.)

Sounds like with your protein and mineral supply you are doing the right things....

talltimber":3brf2w0q said:
Everything here has free access to loose mineral and protein tubs year round.

He was wormed in April ish, and in July, I believe because he wouldn't shed off and was not looking very slick. I am going to run them all through for fall vaccines/wormer next month, so it's coming up.
Protein tubs are intended to compliment grazing and hay and seldom ever really add weight or growth. This time of the year your grass has probably lost much of it's nutritional value so if you want him to grow give him some better groceries....a good commercial mix with adequate corn, some cottonseed hulls, a protein source (cottonseed meal or soybean meal) and about 11-12% protein should be fine. Most companies make a pretty good "Bull & Hfr" they call it. Leave the tubs out. If he needs it he'll eat a bit more. I really don't see that he's small. Appears to be as tall as the old bull.

I am giving them a Special Blend they call it, that is 12%. I am giving the youngster about 5 pounds or so every few days and the old bull just a couple of pounds on the same schedule. The old bull stayed in pretty good shape, not worried too much about him, but thought the young bull wasn't fit/fat enough to be within a couple months of being turned in. He won't have as many cows starting off, so he'll be ok by then hopefully.

I talked with my vet the other day about my vaccines for the cows/bulls and the calves. One topic was wormer and if I needed to be switching up. He didn't seem to be too worried about resistance build up, but did say I could if I wanted to. I may go injectable this fall. I used pour on up until now. If I remember right Dad pretty well used pour on unless there was a chance of rain too quick.

I think he looks good. Young bulls have many awkward stages as they go through growth spurts. If anything it does look like he could use some wormer (don't skimp and get cheap wormer!)