feeding young bull

Help Support CattleToday:

cattletom

Reaction score
i have a 18 month old pb black angus bull. he has bred all our cows but i have been still been keeping him with them. he is on pretty good grass but should i be feeding him anything right now during grazing season. i want him to continue to mature and grow. should i separate him or is he ok with them. he is got salt and free choice minerals but i was wondering should i be feeding him anytype of bull ration every day to keep him growing or will he do ok till winter. tommy

I would have to agree w/ Craig. He should be fine for now. But I wouldn't winter him w/ the cows.

We run bulls with the cows year round which means they eat the same thing the cows do – grass and hay. They get cake/cubes a couple of times a week during the winter and when we're checking them or trying to get them up the rest of the year. Besides salt and minerals that's it. I will admit to making sure the bulls get a double ration now and then, just like they get extra fly powder in the summer. If it sounds plain and simple it's because it is. We're not running a fancy operation. There's a hundred ways of doing things, that's just the way we do it.

Craig-TX

My Dad had an old bull that was not getting his job done.
The vet gave him a red powder to put in the bulls feed.
After a few days the bull got to feeling great, serviced all my Dads cows then jumped the fence and took care of the neighbors cows too!!
I asked my Dad, "what was that stuff called you gave your bull?"
Dad said, "I don't know but it taist like liquorice!!" ;-)

Hillbilly

certherfbeef":19lexp8y said:
I would have to agree w/ Craig. He should be fine for now. But I wouldn't winter him w/ the cows.

What kind of problems should we look for if we do decide to let the bull run with cows all the time. I could put the heifers in another pasture if necessary, but I had planned on letting the bull run all yr.

eric":lge74lbz said:
What kind of problems should we look for if we do decide to let the bull run with cows all the time. I could put the heifers in another pasture if necessary, but I had planned on letting the bull run all yr.

Eric, with your operation, you probably won't have any problems and running him year around is probably the smart thing to do. And you probably will want to keep your heifers separate.

Main reason most of us take them out is to define the calving season. This makes for a more uniform calf crop at processing or sale time, as well as allowing us to manage our cowherd as either wet or dry. That probably won't be a consideration for you until you get your numbers up. I don't want any calves on cows through the winter because there's no way to feed that wet cow what she needs without overfeeding the dry cows. Savvy?

Savvy......kimmoesobbie!!

Thanks....the plan was to keep the heifers seperated from weaning until time to breed, then let them back in the main pasture with the other cows and the bull.

My Dad had an old bull that was not getting his job done.
The vet gave him a red powder to put in the bulls feed.
After a few days the bull got to feeling great, serviced all my Dads cows then jumped the fence and took care of the neighbors cows too!!
I asked my Dad, "what was that stuff called you gave your bull?"
Dad said, "I don't know but it taist like liquorice!!"

Hillbilly

That one really hit my funny bone. That's hilarious.

eric":3dcvjbxv said:
Thanks....the plan was to keep the heifers seperated from weaning until time to breed, then let them back in the main pasture with the other cows and the bull.

Eric, that sounds to me like one of the best plans you've ever had! :lol:

Texan":1qss9rit said:
eric":1qss9rit said:

except, i don't remember if you've said that you purchased or borrowed a new bull. is the bull you have the sire of the heifers? if so, i wouldn't suggest breeding them back to him. otherwise i have to agree w/Texan..........Eric, that sounds to me like one of the best plans you've ever had! :lol:

Texan":iviucrdu said:
eric":iviucrdu said:

Hey, I've learned even a broken watch is right twice a day!!

TxAg...yes I borrowed a neighbors Black Angus bull this past spring. But the same neighbor has a yrlng angus bull he will sell me. I was hoping to purchase him after the cows have their calves this Feb/Mar. He would be the son of the bull I had this yr. Does that present any problems, breeding that close in line?

eric":d8g60bj2 said:
TxAg...yes I borrowed a neighbors Black Angus bull this past spring. But the same neighbor has a yrlng angus bull he will sell me. I was hoping to purchase him after the cows have their calves this Feb/Mar. He would be the son of the bull I had this yr. Does that present any problems, breeding that close in line?

so the heifers you previously weaned are not related to the yearling bull? or are they half brother & sisters?

even if they are half brother & sisters, there shouldn't be a problem although it's typically not something i'd highly recommend.

The heifers I am currently weaning (or trying to!) .....are not related to the bull I used or the bull I am considering buying. The cows were bred when I bought them from another man in another city.

But, the cows I would breed next yr would be bred with the son of the bull I used this yr. (Is this making any sense?) And in 2006, next yrs calves will be bred to their 1/2 brother! 1/2 meaning: same bull, different cow, right? In other words, is it alright for a father and a son to breed the same cow,a year apart?

Latest posts