Feeding whole oats

Help Support CattleToday:

Diehard40

Reaction score
I know some may have more practical experience at this than i do so just wanted a few takes on how people are feeding them.
How many are feeding whole oats?
What age of animal do you feed them to?
percentage of whole oats in ration?
thanks for any responses.

Back 20 years ago it was common for people to feed calves whole oats, like a creepfeed. I guess it would be OK if you can buy oats at a good price. Oats would be better if mixed with a little corn and protein, vitimins and meneral. A complete ration in other words. If your going to fatten for meat, start with a couple pounds a day and work up to all it wants in a month or so. Always keep hay available.

mnmt

My cows love whole oats. When I could get them cheap I'd mix them with corn for a ration. You won't get the fat or protein I don't think by feeding them straight.

thanks for the response. I guess my main question is about feeding them to cows instead of calves, i know quiet a few that feed them in a creep ration, but was wondering if anyone was really feeding to mature cows and at what levels. I know that there is an optimum level to feed them to where the animal gets the most out of the feed and above that level efficiency of feeding them goes down. again thanks for the reponses.

Diehard40, I think its OK to give your cows some oats. But it would be like a treat. Cows need to get their bellies full. Unless your fattening them for slaughter, really no need to have the extra expence of feeding grain, they will do real good on all the hay they can eat.

mnmt

Latest posts