Feeding Wheat

Help Support CattleToday:

terra8186

Reaction score
I am having my wheat field harvested in the next month. I am thinking about feeding a few feeder calves a wheat mixture. I usually use corn, but I am thinking about using wheat. Here is my rational. The elevator is paying around $4.00/bushel for wheat. I have to pay trucking so it would be $3.80/bushel in my pocket. I buy corn at $4.00/bushel Wheat is 14% CP and Corn is 9% CP.

Does anyone see a problem with this? I have been using a mostly corn, with some oats, and vitamins mixture. The Protein level is around 12%.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how much wheat I could feed them. Right now the elevator tells me that I could use straight corn with vitamins. Could I do the same with wheat (wheat with vitamins)?

terra8186":3vu4ct9t said:
I am having my wheat field harvested in the next month. I am thinking about feeding a few feeder calves a wheat mixture. I usually use corn, but I am thinking about using wheat. Here is my rational. The elevator is paying around $4.00/bushel for wheat. I have to pay trucking so it would be $3.80/bushel in my pocket. I buy corn at $4.00/bushel Wheat is 14% CP and Corn is 9% CP.

Does anyone see a problem with this? I have been using a mostly corn, with some oats, and vitamins mixture. The Protein level is around 12%.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how much wheat I could feed them. Right now the elevator tells me that I could use straight corn with vitamins. Could I do the same with wheat (wheat with vitamins)?
Some will probably disagree but I'd definitely grind the wheat before feeding it to reduce pass thru. Wouldn't use over30- 40% wheat in the mix. A shame the price of wheat is that low in your area.

I would be awful careful about feeding wheat. I had some wheat screenings sitting aorund I wanted to include in a ration for my calves. Nutritionist recommended I dump them in a ditch a go by corn and make a proper ration. I do know wheat degrades faster than corn so a big danger is acidosis. By the way, 14% protein wheat is selling for $5.05 here.

Just begin with a lower inclusion of wheat, increase over time and give multiple feedings daily. Making sure they plenty of long stem roughage should negate any problems with rumen ph.