Feeding wet brewers grains?

Help Support CattleToday:

cowmaker

Reaction score
I am looking for your personal advice/experience with feeding wet brewers grain. The grains are mostly Barley.
Currently I have been putting out about 500lbs for every 1000lbs of hay. 50/50ratio.
Does the ratio seem acceptable?
Would I be able to finish a calf off with the wet brewers grain?
I have been doing this for about a month and they are really filling out!!

Thanks,
Chris

cowmaker":hceyjtbu said:
I am looking for your personal advice/experience with feeding wet brewers grain. The grains are mostly Barley.
Currently I have been putting out about 500lbs for every 1000lbs of hay. 50/50ratio.
Does the ratio seem acceptable?
Would I be able to finish a calf off with the wet brewers grain?
I have been doing this for about a month and they are really filling out!!

Thanks,
Chris

You don't say how many calves you're feeding this to so no way of knowing what the daily intake is. WBG is usually anywhere from 70-85% moisture so you're only feeding about 100-150 lbs. of dry matter with the WGB, however, that dry matter should run well over 20% protein.

warning calves can get drunk from the consumption of liguid brewers grain.an they will get the staggers.its fun to watch drunk calves fall an bump into stuff.

Currently I am feeding one bull, 3 cows, and two yearlings, but I want to replace these with ten calves in the 550-750lb range.
Math mistake: My ratio should be 1:2

bigbull338":2zd8jg4k said:
warning calves can get drunk from the consumption of liguid brewers grain.an they will get the staggers.its fun to watch drunk calves fall an bump into stuff.

I've heard of eating drunk chickens but not drunk beef.

got a friend that fed his cows that stuff.an they would stagger an stumble into the barn.sometimes hitting the side of the drippshed an barn.

bigbull338":iqishoeb said:
got a friend that fed his cows that stuff.an they would stagger an stumble into the barn.sometimes hitting the side of the drippshed an barn.
:lol: I had never even thought of that. Although I have heard that mash can do that to a pig. :lol:

bigbull338":2ybmsv6k said:
well his milk cows sure got drunk on that stuff.
Lol, I wonder how much of an effect it had on the milk. :lol: And those that may have drank it.

You might want to balance that ration with somthing else because you should be no more then 20% of overall dry matter feed intake to be safe. Some go as high as 30%.

cowmaker":lxt0go15 said:
TexasBred- The 500lbs is dry, no idea what it weighs wet...

huh???? If it's dry then it's NOT Wet brewers grain. ...but if it's 75% moisture then it is only 25% "dry matter" just as hay might be 12% moisture then you have 88% dry matter.

TexasBred- Sorry for the confusion! Let me see if I can explain myself better...
I get a batch of wet brewers grain from the brewery and the brewmaster tells me that there is 500lbs of barley in the load. However, he has "wetted" the barley down by making beer and I have no idea what it weighs. So, I am thinking I have got 500lbs of "dry matter" or Barley plus my 1000lb bale of hay.

cowmaker":4xwo9a4j said:
TexasBred- Sorry for the confusion! Let me see if I can explain myself better...
I get a batch of wet brewers grain from the brewery and the brewmaster tells me that there is 500lbs of barley in the load. However, he has "wetted" the barley down by making beer and I have no idea what it weighs. So, I am thinking I have got 500lbs of "dry matter" or Barley plus my 1000lb bale of hay.
Sorry but I am still confused. I would assume that the original 500 lbs. of barley had alot of starch removed from it. I think you need to assume what TexasBred wrote is that it most likely is 25% dry matter. If you are feeding the cows and a bull then I would guess a couple lbs. a day per head. If you are feeding fats then say about 20% overall dry matter intake.

cowmaker":135go3z9 said:

Ok buddy..now I "comprende". True...500 lbs. grain...most likely IF it's wet you have a "load of close to 2000 lbs. containing the 500 lbs. of grain. Not unlike filling up a bucket with shelled corn, then filling the bucket of corn with water. Still have a bucket of corn but also a lot of moisture. AS FED it will probalby run about 5-6% protein (including all the water).

I don't know if this will help, but here is what I do.

I feed my cows in groups of ten. Daily they get 1 dry round bale (~40lb dry matter each) and 500 lbs wet brewers mash (~10lb dry matter each). They clean it up in 24 hours. It may be more than they need, but I like to keep good condition on them when calving and lactating.

I've never seen them drunk, but I'm sure dairy cattle get much higher quantities. Also, I get my WBM from Anhueser Busch, and I think they squeeze out every drop of alcohol they can get. I've never fed it to finishing cattle. I finish in Summer and Fall, and it spoils to fast in warm weather. I would think it could be part of a finishing ration, but I wouldn't use it to replace corn.

Latest posts