Feeding weaned calves

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
Getting ready to wean some calves they weight around 450 to 500 lbs. I have plenty of ear corn left so I was going to wean the calves and put a few more lbs on them. What % protein do they need? Iam going to grind the corn and add soybean mill or DDGS which ever is cheaper to get the protein were it needs to be. They will be on pasture which right now isn't very good it's getting really dry around here. How many pounds of feed should I feed them once I get them use to eatting it and working them up slowly ?

pricefarm":2deks5z2 said:
Getting ready to wean some calves they weight around 450 to 500 lbs. I have plenty of ear corn left so I was going to wean the calves and put a few more lbs on them. What % protein do they need? Iam going to grind the corn and add soybean mill or DDGS which ever is cheaper to get the protein were it needs to be. They will be on pasture which right now isn't very good it's getting really dry around here. How many pounds of feed should I feed them once I get them use to eatting it and working them up slowly ?
1.you want to feed them a mix that will be 12% protine.2.you want them eating 1.5 to 2% of their body weight on pull feed.so on full feed that would be an ave of 10lbs of feed a hd a day.

pricefarm":3bqnhu4b said:
Just to keep it simply mix 1 lb. of soybean meal with 9 pounds of corn. DDG protein can vary quite a bit but 1 lb. of DDG to 4 lbs. of corn would be a good mix. Both of these mixes would be close to 12% crude protein and very high in energy. Just make sure they get plenty of hay and/or grazing to go along with the grain to avoid acidosis.

herefordlover":1kt7gvda said:
We run 16% on calves that size just watch getting to much fat in the mix
We use 13% at 1 1/2 to 2% body weight. Start a little low and ramp them up for a week or 2. They stay on that ration (along with hay or pasture) for about 45 days, then the steers go to the feedlot and the heifers we're retaining go out with th bred cow herd for the winter on just pasture or hay.

depends on that pasture, if it has much protein ,you could just feed corn. feed man or extension might be able to estimate protein in pasture

ive got to wean some calves in a week or 2 and im going to start them on a custom mix show feed.its probly 18% protine,but ive forgotten since its over 30yrs since ive used it.

bigbull338":2zzc2s51 said:
ive got to wean some calves in a week or 2 and im going to start them on a custom mix show feed.its probly 18% protine,but ive forgotten since its over 30yrs since ive used it.
Most show calf feeds are 11-12% protein.

Shanghai":124f6uql said:
Depending on the pasture it may not be necessary to supplement, but if so 10#'s of corn for a 5wt calf IMO is too much and too hot.
It doesn't have to be taht much...just use that ratio. 9:1 or 4 1/2 to 1/2...hows that?? :nod:

TexasBred":vpdbs7xs said:
Shanghai":vpdbs7xs said:
Depending on the pasture it may not be necessary to supplement, but if so 10#'s of corn for a 5wt calf IMO is too much and too hot.
It doesn't have to be taht much...just use that ratio. 9:1 or 4 1/2 to 1/2...hows that?? :nod:

Ok I got you, I read it as 10#'s of corn

Weaning is more then just seperating the calf from the cow. It's the preperation step for either developing them as potentail breeding stock or for finishing for slaughter. Other then grass fed they need to start adapting to a different ration then just grass/hay. They need to be accustomed to ewating from a bunk and watering from waterers other then ponds/creeks/etc.

Absolutely true, but feeding 10#'s of grain to bunk break them isn't necessary.
If pasture is adequate I wouldn't waste the feed and 10#'s of corn for a 450-500# calf is pretty dang hot is all I was saying
If it's replacement heifers for myself all they'll ever see is a little cake so it'd be a waste and I'd be afraid of getting them too fat, but that's just my way.

To each his own.

pricefarm":185ntnbr said:
Getting ready to wean some calves they weight around 450 to 500 lbs. I have plenty of ear corn left so I was going to wean the calves and put a few more lbs on them. What % protein do they need?

I would keep it simple. I would creep the corn and leave them on the cow for protein.

Latest posts