feeding weaned calves

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
i finally weaned the calves 2 heifers an 1 bull.they are on feed already,because they learned how to eat from the bunks with their mommas.they weigh tween 500 an 700 or maybe more.since theres 3 calves i was planning on feeding them 10 to 12lbs twice a day.as well as free choice hay.the feed is a 14% pellet.i figure 4 to 8lbs pre calf pre day.any thoughts on this.

these are all being kept for breeding stock.they are reg beefmasters.the heifers are replacements.an the bull calf is a future herd bull.ill only have the heifers for week or so till the guy picks them up.was planning on feeding 1 to 1.5% of their bw.

Sounds OK
The heifers it really doesn't matter(no longer than they are staying)- as long as you don't mess up their digestive tract- and I don;t think you will unless theres a hog in there getting more than its share.
The bull you need to watch to make sure you are not fattening him over time- I don't think you will unless you have some real good hay to go with the feed.
Sounds like you are going to try and keep the bull as a single-- that may or may not work well- might have to get him a friend.

yes im going to keep him penned up.not planning on turning him out with the cows till he is 16 months old.im in the learning process again as far as raising bulls.so i know he will max out at 15lbs of feed a day.the hay quality depends.the hay the cows get is all natural.no chem fertalizers.ive got some great costal sq bales.an its been fertalized with chicken litter.

500 - 700 lb calves
At weaning you need to feed free choice hay for about 3 days then begin them on some type of feed regiment. the heifers need to be 65% of mature weight by breeding time --15 months. If mature cows weigh 1400 lbs then a heifer at 15 months needs to be about 910 lbs.
600 lb heifer at 7 months so she needs to gain 300 lbs in the next 7 to 8 months or 240 days
300/240 = 1.25 lbs per day gain.
To do this she needs 1.4 lbs total Protein per day to start
Feeding a 14% feed ration + free choice roughage
.14 x .90 = 0.13
1.4/ 0.13 = 10.8 lbs of feed. (not recommended due to cost) ( If you did do this you cannot just go dump 11 lbs of feed in her trough, but instead you need to start her on 4 lbs then increase it everyday or so until the full feed ration is met (7 days))
If your hay is good quality say 10% coastal bermuda 10% x 55% TDN = 0.06
10 x .06 = 0.6 and 1.4 - 0.6 = 0.8
0.8/ 0.13 = 6 lbs of your 14% ration
So the total ration for a 600 lb heifer to gain 1.25 lbs per day for month 1 is 10 lbs of coastal bermuda and 6 lbs of the 14% ration. per day. I hope there is some corn in this ration to provide adequate energy. Remember also that feeding 6 lbs of this 14% ration will not supply your animal with the needed vitamins and minerals she needs for growth -- a cattle mineral should be provided.
I would push the Bull a little harder maybe 2.0 lbs per day or 60 lbs per month and I wouldn't start breeding him until he was at least 18 months and I prefer 24 months because all brahman influenced cattle are a little bit later maturing than your basic english breeds like Angus.

I dont have the time to do a complete feed ration for all the months involved in raising your heifers and your Bull but this can be easily attained in any feeds and feeding book ............. Good Luck

Simangus

im pushing the bull as hard as i can.an feeding him all he will eat.the feed costs doesnt bother me.because i know you have to feed cattle to get them where you want.since this is the 1st time ive raised breeding bulls im having to fine tune things.looks like ill have another bull to raise in june.

Latest posts