Feeding sunflower seeds

Help Support CattleToday:

S B Knap

Reaction score
I did a search on this and didnt come up with much besides it being mixed in a ration.

I was talking to my brother today and he said his boss is giving us a semi load of sunflower seeds they just picked something about it didnt weigh enough or test weight.

So has anyone feed straight sunflower seeds?

I think I have something to store them in and I would probly just use it to call them up when we check them, throw a couple buckets in a feed trough.

My cows on are on corn stubble right now and we dont ever feed them anything besides hay or corn bales if they ever need it.

Any experience with this? Thanks

I have only fed them one time. I can't remember any problems with the cattle, my problem was the following year we had a disaster as a result of volunteer sunflowers in the soybeans.

options":2tuaggqy said:
I have only fed them one time. I can't remember any problems with the cattle, my problem was the following year we had a disaster as a result of volunteer sunflowers in the soybeans.
But I bet you had great dove hunting!

Just curious anyone know if there is any difference in feeding the confection seeds and oil seeds? Do they use the confection in feed mill ground ration? Or does it make no difference?

S B Knap":xtbpxigk said:
Just curious anyone know if there is any difference in feeding the confection seeds and oil seeds? Do they use the confection in feed mill ground ration? Or does it make no difference?

The black oil seed will be much higher in crude fat content. Either will work in a ration.