feeding steers

Help Support CattleToday:

inbredredneck":27iemwkj said:
tncattle":27iemwkj said:
inbredredneck":27iemwkj said:
Why do you butcher yearlings?

You are giving away the profit. You have already paid for the calf once. Why do you you butcher light, just to start all over with the investment in another calf, just to make money on the gain you give away anyway?

I've got $4500 (that includes feed and all) in them and will sell them for $8250, how am I giving $ away.
$1500 x 5 = $7500

I meant $1500 x 4.5 = $6750

So if I buy more feed and still sell for $1500 I will make more profit? I'm selling these steers to individuals for freezer beef. Help me inbred, help me :D

tncattle":2xxa9om3 said:

So if I buy more feed and still sell for $1500 I will make more profit? I'm selling these steers to individuals for freezer beef. Help me inbred, help me :D
Here is a noble thought, and a good way to run a business, charge a person for what they are getting, rather than pulling a number out of the air. When they get more, they don't mind paying more, funny how that works. When they paid more, you made more. I know it sounds crazy.

VanC":1ta4qvc8 said:
inbredredneck":1ta4qvc8 said:
1wlimo":1ta4qvc8 said:
It does not always compute that way inbredredneck, as the animal gets older and heavier and lays down more fat it's value per # can go down and the costs to gain a # go up.
yep I'm stupid, hopefully somebody who feeds cattle for a living can tell me how this feeding steers really works. Call any fat buyer and ask them what brings more money finished cattle or unfinished ones. What is the national average live weight of steers sent to slaughter?

I'm gonna guess around 1300.
Close van very close, 1356 on the steers today and 1220 on the girls.

You are giving away the profit. You have already paid for the calf once. Why do you you butcher light, just to start all over with the investment in another calf, just to make money on the gain you give away anyway?[/quote]

I've got $4500 (that includes feed and all) in them and will sell them for $8250, how am I giving $ away.[/quote]
$1500 x 5 = $7500[/quote]

So if I buy more feed and still sell for $1500 I will make more profit? I'm selling these steers to individuals for freezer beef. Help me inbred, help me :D[/quote]

Are you selling these by the head & not by their weight ? If so that is a mistake . :2cents:

HEREFORD ROADHOG":2xqqssrv said:
You are giving away the profit. You have already paid for the calf once. Why do you you butcher light, just to start all over with the investment in another calf, just to make money on the gain you give away anyway?

I've got $4500 (that includes feed and all) in them and will sell them for $8250, how am I giving $ away.[/quote]
$1500 x 5 = $7500[/quote]

So if I buy more feed and still sell for $1500 I will make more profit? I'm selling these steers to individuals for freezer beef. Help me inbred, help me :D[/quote]

Are you selling these by the head & not by their weight ? If so that is a mistake . :2cents:[/quote]

$1.50 a lb. live weight and I slaughter at 1000 lbs. live weight.

inbredredneck":2dxhdu73 said:
I will type real slow.

I am not dead certain that it helps to type slowly; I do it all the time, and some still do not follow. :bang: :bang: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

tncattle":25id8xym said:
$1.50 x 1356# = $2034
$1.50 x 1000# = $1500

$2034 - $1500 = $534

356# x $.81 = $288

$534 - $288 = $246

Now if you really can buy a calf and feed it to 1000# on $900 you have almost 1/3 of next years inputs paid for all by using money you were leaving on the table.

inbredredneck":1fdmesgc said:
tncattle":1fdmesgc said:
$1.50 x 1356# = $2034
$1.50 x 1000# = $1500

$2034 - $1500 = $534

356# x $.81 = $288

$534 - $288 = $246

Now if you really can buy a calf and feed it to 1000# on $900 you have almost 1/3 of next years inputs paid for all by using money you were leaving on the table.

I buy them in the spring and they are put out on good grass until late Oct. I'm really looking at your numbers but my mind might be a bit cloudy as I've had the throw up virus since 4 am this morning. Anyway, didn't you leave out feed costs numbers? The feed is around $730 for 3 tons. Two of the steers are at 1000 lbs. now, one is around 950 and the other two are at 900. They are gaining right around 3.25 lbs. a day and eating about 20 lbs. each of feed a day. I'm sick as a dog and can't finish the numbers, do the numbers and I'll check back later. :(

tncattle":1kdogwvi said:
inbredredneck":1kdogwvi said:
tncattle":1kdogwvi said:
$1.50 x 1356# = $2034
$1.50 x 1000# = $1500

$2034 - $1500 = $534

356# x $.81 = $288

$534 - $288 = $246

I buy them in the spring and they are put out on good grass until late Oct. I'm really looking at your numbers but my mind might be a bit cloudy as I've had the throw up virus since 4 am this morning. Anyway, didn't you leave out feed costs numbers? The feed is around $730 for 3 tons. Two of the steers are at 1000 lbs. now, one is around 950 and the other two are at 900. They are gaining right around 3.25 lbs. a day and eating about 20 lbs. each of feed a day. I'm sick as a dog and can't finish the numbers, do the numbers and I'll check back later. :(
Nope feed cost numbers are there. I actually used a higher priced cost of gain than you are stating you have.

I forgot to mention another problem for me with your calculations. My customers pay the processing so even selling at $1500 each they end up paying around $300 for processing sometimes more if they get all fancy with their requests. I only have one processor within 30 miles of me that will vacuum pack (all customers want that). The nearest one after that is 90 miles and my customers said they don't want to drive that far and I don't blame them. So yes they would get more beef with your calculations but would also be paying close to $2500 for a whole beef and most if not all just won't pay it, especially in our current times.

inbredredneck":1jn610ws said:
1wlimo":1jn610ws said:
It does not always compute that way inbredredneck, as the animal gets older and heavier and lays down more fat it's value per # can go down and the costs to gain a # go up.
yep I'm stupid, hopefully somebody who feeds cattle for a living can tell me how this feeding steers really works. Call any fat buyer and ask them what brings more money finished cattle or unfinished ones. What is the national average live weight of steers sent to slaughter?
You know how to feed steers....you do it for a living....quit being a horse's ass and explain to all of us other beginners a few of the things you've learned over the years. We all have to start somewhere and it's nice to ahve someone who will "bear with us" and try to help rather than belittle and demean us at every opportunity.

tncattle":2dy7e0mr said:
I forgot to mention another problem for me with your calculations. My customers pay the processing so even selling at $1500 each they end up paying around $300 for processing sometimes more if they get all fancy with their requests. I only have one processor within 30 miles of me that will vacuum pack (all customers want that). The nearest one after that is 90 miles and my customers said they don't want to drive that far and I don't blame them. So yes they would get more beef with your calculations but would also be paying close to $2500 for a whole beef and most if not all just won't pay it, especially in our current times.
I commend you, you are one of very few people here at CT that have expressed concerns for your customer and their finances. Most everyone else puts higher profit for themselves above fairness to their customers.

TexasBred":1y08h23h said:
inbredredneck":1y08h23h said:
1wlimo":1y08h23h said:
You know how to feed steers....you do it for a living....quit being a horse's ass and explain to all of us other beginners a few of the things you've learned over the years. We all have to start somewhere and it's nice to ahve someone who will "bear with us" and try to help rather than belittle and demean us at every opportunity.
I apologize TexasBred but I'm not built that way. I say it like it is, nice or not. This is a tough business no real sense in sugar coating things, **** stinks I can't pretend it doesn't. I would rather see a person make money selling more, instead of needing to charge more for less just to make ends meet. In the end everyone benefits. I will say one thing cattle producers will be less likely to produce themselves out of prosperity like grain farmers do.

You are correct, with a set price of 1500 dollars you are not making more by feeding, but are you giving your customers the best product you can?

You are know charging your customers 1500 for a 1000 steer, if you fed for 60 days you would have around 150 more in each animal.

1000lbs steer @ $1500
47% yield on finished product= 470lbs
1500 for steer 300 processing = $1800
$3.83 a pound

3.5 pounds ADG for 60 days = 210 lbs more
(most calves turn it on from 1000 to 1200)

1210lbs steer @ 1650
47% yield on finished steer= 569lbs
1500 for steer + 150 for feed + 300 processing = $1950
3.43 a pound

In the long run if you could talk your customers into $150 more they would end up with
about 100 pounds more of product, that is finished, for $.40 less a pound. You can't even get good hamburger for $4 a pound at the market anymore.

Latest posts