feeding steers

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I'm feeding some steers for slaughter. I probably can only afford to feed for about 35-40 days, the steers were right at 900 lbs. when they started on the feed. So they will be on full feed for 35-40 days, what should I expect? One is pure Hereford and pretty heavily muscled and the other four are good quality Angus. The reason I say good quality is because I bought from friends and I know the bulls and cows they came from. I'd like to feed for 90 days but it's just so dang expensive.

tsmaxx47":17jlbvoa said:
you're the guru; you tell us...........

Thanks for the informative answer :p . Just thought others might have way more experience with this kind of thing and could shed some light on it.

Depending on their fat cover and how they were fed and how old they are you might be ok. Hard to say definitively tho

tncattle":3ifhvano said:
I'm feeding some steers for slaughter. I probably can only afford to feed for about 35-40 days, the steers were right at 900 lbs. when they started on the feed. So they will be on full feed for 35-40 days, what should I expect? One is pure Hereford and pretty heavily muscled and the other four are good quality Angus. The reason I say good quality is because I bought from friends and I know the bulls and cows they came from. I'd like to feed for 90 days but it's just so dang expensive.

If you take them up to full feed gradually, like you should, I am guessing you would be lucky to put another 75 lbs on them.If you had them at full feed ,then went 35-40 more days ,maybe 100 lbs.In my opinion,you should at least try to go 60 days. P.S. Eat the Hereford & sell the 4 Angus to your customers. :tiphat:

HEREFORD ROADHOG":3qershby said:
tncattle":3qershby said:

If you take them up to full feed gradually, like you should, I am guessing you would be lucky to put another 75 lbs on them.If you had them at full feed ,then went 35-40 more days ,maybe 100 lbs.In my opinion,you should at least try to go 60 days. P.S. Eat the Hereford & sell the 4 Angus to your customers. :tiphat:

I agree with you but another 3 tons of feed is over $700! :frowns:

tncattle":1wit1w1j said:
HEREFORD ROADHOG":1wit1w1j said:
tncattle":1wit1w1j said:

I agree with you but another 3 tons of feed is over $700! :frowns:
That feed makes 810# of beef, with a value of $988. Do you need me to do more of the math.

Texas PaPaw":myxetbea said:
How about selling the fattest 1 and use the cash to buy more feed to better finish the others

Just my 2 cents worth

Two of them are ready (around 1000 lbs.) so I'll take them first. I've got around $900 in each steer because I bought them when they were fully weaned from good sources and I paid a little more for their quality. I will sell them for $1500 each total for freezer beef, I've already got 3 of them sold. We want to keep 1/2 of one of them for us. I was just over there earlier today and they are looking good.

Why do you butcher yearlings?

You are giving away the profit. You have already paid for the calf once. Why do you you butcher light, just to start all over with the investment in another calf, just to make money on the gain you give away anyway?

inbredredneck":2sg6uicf said:

You are giving away the profit. You have already paid for the calf once. Why do you you butcher light, just to start all over with the investment in another calf, just to make money on the gain you give away anyway?

I've got $4500 (that includes feed and all) in them and will sell them for $8250, how am I giving $ away.

Regardless what you have in them, It takes less money to add a pound than it does to buy a pound. Butchering yearlings is leaving money on the table.

inbredredneck":2o9snlod said:
Regardless what you have in them, It takes less money to add a pound than it does to buy a pound. Butchering yearlings is leaving money on the table.

Do you even understand what you are actually writing? :???:

tncattle":2jfs2270 said:
inbredredneck":2jfs2270 said:

I've got $4500 (that includes feed and all) in them and will sell them for $8250, how am I giving $ away.
$1500 x 5 = $7500

tncattle":14pahx19 said:
inbredredneck":14pahx19 said:

Do you even understand what you are actually writing? :???:
Yes but clearly you do not. I will type real slow. A pound of gain with your costs is $.81 You can sell that pound of beef for $1.22. Butchering light you are giving away that profit. You already have the higher expense of the calf paid for. :???:

It does not always compute that way inbredredneck, as the animal gets older and heavier and lays down more fat it's value per # can go down and the costs to gain a # go up.

1wlimo":3l2f9d3e said:
It does not always compute that way inbredredneck, as the animal gets older and heavier and lays down more fat it's value per # can go down and the costs to gain a # go up.
yep I'm stupid, hopefully somebody who feeds cattle for a living can tell me how this feeding steers really works. Call any fat buyer and ask them what brings more money finished cattle or unfinished ones. What is the national average live weight of steers sent to slaughter?

inbredredneck":2jqtwms3 said:
1wlimo":2jqtwms3 said:
yep I'm stupid, hopefully somebody who feeds cattle for a living can tell me how this feeding steers really works. Call any fat buyer and ask them what brings more money finished cattle or unfinished ones. What is the national average live weight of steers sent to slaughter?

I'm gonna guess around 1300.

Latest posts