feeding steer beef builder

Help Support CattleToday:

cattlekid

Reaction score
I am currently raising 5 steer for meat they are getting pasture mix and oat hay 1 bale a day and graining them at night beef builder. How much should I give them of builder, currently approx. 2 small coffee cans each steer. They are 6 months old and weight approx. 650lbs. Am I doing everything ok at this point. They are in the pasture the rest of the day.

cattlekid":1uajsono said:
I am currently raising 5 steer for meat they are getting pasture mix and oat hay 1 bale a day and graining them at night beef builder. How much should I give them of builder, currently approx. 2 small coffee cans each steer. They are 6 months old and weight approx. 650lbs. Am I doing everything ok at this point. They are in the pasture the rest of the day.
If you want them on full feed they should be getting about 2% of body wt. of a balanced ration plus all the grass and hay they want.
Would have to know what is in your beef builder to give any more specific of an answer.

The mix is Crude Protein 14%, Crude Fat 2%, Crude Fiber 5%, Ash 7% Consisting of Steam rolled Milo, Corn ,Soybean, Barley, Cane Molasses, Alfalfa, and wheat.plus vitamins supplements. The chart for the weight of the steer says 13 lbs if beef builder. Is this too much for now or not enough? Not planning on butchering until approx 1,100lbs approx. November. First time with steer. Thank You for any replies.

cattlekid":131qb4d5 said:
The chart for the weight of the steer says 13 lbs if beef builder. Is this too much for now or not enough?.
You said the steer weighs 650 lb... 13 lb is 2% of of 650 lb.

cattlekid":3h9clqdm said:
The mix is Crude Protein 14%, Crude Fat 2%, Crude Fiber 5%, Ash 7% Consisting of Steam rolled Milo, Corn ,Soybean, Barley, Cane Molasses, Alfalfa, and wheat.plus vitamins supplements. The chart for the weight of the steer says 13 lbs if beef builder. Is this too much for now or not enough? Not planning on butchering until approx 1,100lbs approx. November. First time with steer. Thank You for any replies.

If you are giving the 13# a day right now, you are on the right track, but I would be doing two things: First, split the feed up into half in the morning and evening. As it gets warmer, they won't have the appetite to eat all of it at once, and you'll get waste and overfeeding of some animals. I'd also be getting ready to switch to more like a 12% protein feed. we usually switch around 700lbs.

Latest posts