feeding soybeans

Help Support CattleToday:

MtnCows93

Reaction score
have you guys ever used soybeans to supplement protein? i was thinking this winter supplementing some cows on hay with beans to get them in better body condition. i know they are high in protein but thats all i know about soybeans

Unprocessed soybeans can be fed at 1-2 lb per day, but as a top dress. They are easily bunk sorted in a mix and one
cow eats 6 or 8 lbs and the others eat none. Selling your soybeans and feeding soy meal
(44% protein if I remember correctly) would be better and the protein is more digestible.

If you were able to crush them going through a screen mixing them in a feed mill with other grain, the batch needs
to be fed up in a few days as the raw oil turns the whole batch rancid pretty fast. Extruding soybeans processes them
with the very high heat the friction extruding creates and in effect cooks them.

Yes it's a perfectly fine supplement at less than 6% of total intake and is also a great source of energy. But, you have to feed such a small amount, just like SBM or other high pro feeds, it's better used mixed with corn, oats, wheat or some grain. I like to use some in feeder rations better than cow supplement. Really though the only time it is a valuable feedstuff is when soy is cheap.
Figure a mix of 25% protein mix of soy and grain and feed 5-7 pounds to lactating cows on grass hay.

#All suggestion made in this post, are my own. Not responsible for any loss, just gains :)