Feeding rolled peanut vines

Help Support CattleToday:

DavidLee

Reaction score
My father and I have been feeding rolled peanut vines for past couple of winters with good results as far as protien and roughage goes, the heard winters over really great. My father asked me a question the other day as we were putting out a roll and I was not quite sure what the answer might be. He asked if the rolled vines which has alot of sand in them affects the cows teeth as far as wear goes. Does anyone in the Fla. or Ga. area know if this may become a problem over time? We really have quite a savngs in our supplamental protein requirements when feeding the vines as they are at about 12 % as tested by the Univ. of Fl. ag represenative to our supplier, so there are less lick tubs being bought each winter.

The sdand will wear their teeth some. As little a time each year that you probably feed other then pasture it is I would think negligable. Just grazing sandy/gritty ground during the rest of the year would have more affect I would think

Too much sand/dirt can cause 'dirt-osis' -it blocks abomasum and food can't move through to small intestines. I don't know how much is 'too much' though :?:

dun that is along the lines I was thinking too. The year round grazing here in Florida is always sandy I'm sure and I have yet to a toothless cow. :lol2:

I haven't seen peanut hay in around 20 years. I wish I had some to mix in every now and then.

backhoeboogie":3b3io51x said:
I haven't seen peanut hay in around 20 years. I wish I had some to mix in every now and then.
There is quite a good supply here in North Florida each year its about the same as rolled cow hay in price ($30-$35 per 4-5 ft round roll) about $5 per roll more but we save a lot using it due the additional protien the herd gets. There are some perrinal peanut growers as well but they are really proud of that stuff more like horse hay in price. I even enjoy standing around the roll pulling off a snack of the dry peanuts with girls as they eat. The cows love it and they clean it up real well as there is less waste on the ground than hay.

DavidLee":117dltyu said:
The cows love it

Oh yes. It came in square bales when I was a kid. Half the bale was sand. Getting to the barn and fighting the cows off all the way there was the challenge. If you went through the pasture with a load, they'd try to drag it off the trailer every time.

The old peanut dryer used to run round the clock here at harvest time. It has all been torn down now. No one grows peanuts of the Brazos flood plains around here any more.

DavidLee":2ev6hias said:
dun that is along the lines I was thinking too. The year round grazing here in Florida is always sandy I'm sure and I have yet to a toothless cow. :lol2:

I also graze very sandy soil for most of the year, as long as you realise that the expected productive life of your cows are going to be shorter than those grazing tall lush grass on clay soil you can always adapt your replacement strategy to suit your needs. Cows seldom go much over 10 here before the teeth get too short to graze very short grass efficiently.

KNERSIE":3jh5067f said:
DavidLee":3jh5067f said:

I also graze very sandy soil for most of the year, as long as you realise that the expected productive life of your cows are going to be shorter than those grazing tall lush grass on clay soil you can always adapt your replacement strategy to suit your needs. Cows seldom go much over 10 here before the teeth get too short to graze very short grass efficiently.

We also have very sandy soil and pasture management plays a key role in cattle age. A lot of cattle here seldom go over ten years as well due to management practices. Mine go to late teens early twenties as I actively manage the pastures to maintain taller grass. Good grass good teeth here. IMO this is a choice here spend money and fertilize your pastures equals lower replacement cost and it is the cheapest feed and increased carrying capacity.
Here you have to put back or you will operating a bare bones operaton IMO with lower carrying capacity and earlier hay requirements with less stockpiled forage.

Caustic Burno":1yi35l76 said:
KNERSIE":1yi35l76 said:
DavidLee":1yi35l76 said:

We also have very sandy soil and pasture management plays a key role in cattle age. A lot of cattle here seldom go over ten years as well due to management practices. Mine go to late teens early twenties as I actively manage the pastures to maintain taller grass. Good grass good teeth here. IMO this is a choice here spend money and fertilize your pastures equals lower replacement cost and it is the cheapest feed and increased carrying capacity.
Here you have to put back or you will operating a bare bones operaton IMO with lower carrying capacity and earlier hay requirements with less stockpiled forage.

I agree on all of the above, but environment and extensive conditions often don't leave you those options and you have to rely on mother nature.

But for smaller (planted) pastures in a high rainfall or irrigated area you have to get the most our of the grass, not only will the nutritional quality be much better, but the cattle will all over be healthier and produce on a higher plane.

Latest posts