Feeding replacement heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

skip

Reaction score
We've purchased 4 eight month old heifers and we have 3 six-seven month old heifer calves we've weaned from our cows. We are increasing our breeding herd numbers. I was talking to a breeder the other day and he told me that I should keep a good quality calf growth pellets out for them at all times when I'm not there. He said figure on the appropriate daily ration for (days absent) X the number animals and put that amount out when I leave. This would be supplemental to the hay they are getting. What do ya'll think about this practice. My biggest concern is that since we are absentee for 4 days each week because of our jobs, could there be a danger of one or more eating so much that could cause illness or death? As far as I know, those pellets don't have a limiter like salt that is used in the range meals we buy.

Thanks is advance for the advice.

skip":iuqxuyk2 said:
We've purchased 4 eight month old heifers and we have 3 six-seven month old heifer calves we've weaned from our cows. We are increasing our breeding herd numbers. I was talking to a breeder the other day and he told me that I should keep a good quality calf growth pellets out for them at all times when I'm not there. He said figure on the appropriate daily ration for (days absent) X the number animals and put that amount out when I leave. This would be supplemental to the hay they are getting. What do ya'll think about this practice. My biggest concern is that since we are absentee for 4 days each week because of our jobs, could there be a danger of one or more eating so much that could cause illness or death? As far as I know, those pellets don't have a limiter like salt that is used in the range meals we buy.

Does this local breeder own a Feed store

skip":2abgh7r6 said:

Feed them good alfalfa and no grain. Breeders make the mistake of feeding their first calf heifers to much they get to big and they put to much fat, this limits fertilility and can lead to calving problems because she gets tired faster like Starr Jones on a treadmill. Heifers should be fed almost the same way you feed your cows, if they don't make the cut on those rations then they need to grow wheels, now more than ever I see a push toward efficiency in the cattle business and you can see this especially in the Angus cattle where breeders are now backing down frame size. Thats' my rant for the day good bye.

Latest posts