feeding replacement heifers???

Help Support CattleToday:

BryanM

Reaction score
What would your recommendations be for feeding replacement heifers? I am small time and have 3 heifers that I just bought ranging from 700lbs to 1000lbs 9 months to 1yr 4 months. None are bred yet. what feed ration would you put them on to get maximum growth.

All three heifers look fairly good but I am kind of surprised that the oldest one isn't a bit bigger. So I thought I might put them on a good replacement ration just not sure of recipe and I am not opposed to buying a name brand bagged feed either.

Just looking for some advice on what has worked well for you. thanks for your time

I feed what the feed consultant gave me to feed (i got a mix ticket but didn't look real hard at it) they get 2.5 lb per head the vet said they were in perfect condition for breeding (they have not been checked but its been almost 3 months with no heats)

ez14":19b1b2kp said:
I feed what the feed consultant gave me to feed (i got a mix ticket but didn't look real hard at it) they get 2.5 lb per head the vet said they were in perfect condition for breeding (they have not been checked but its been almost 3 months with no heats)

check em

Are you saying you don't have grass? Should be able to do just fine on grass or decent hay by that weight. If you must feed something, personally I would just buy some oats. They are cheap right now, easy to find, not too high energy so they won't get fat. That's the big thing. You don't want replacement heifers fat.

That said, for their ages they seem like reasonable weights and "maximum growth" is not language typically used for replacement heifers.

Latest posts