Feeding protein to calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Chris

Reaction score
I'm considering feeding this years calves protein via a creep feeder. I would appreciate any information or advice on the what to feed and when. What kind of gain can I expect.
Also thinking about implants,any advice?

I've thought about setting up a creep pen and using protein blocks for late summer supplementation for calves before weaning.

Purina Rangeland calf creep 14% protein, medicated with bovatec, paid $200 ton bagged and delivered last fall.
We're located near a Purina plant that mixes it. Some in central Texas said it was over $300 ton in their area.
Ral-Gro is still on manufacturer back order around here.
Where are you located Chris?

Chris":2o11hk25 said:
Mixed weights from 100-400#s
I assume you'll be buying bagged feed. Really doesn't matter that much who makes it but see if you can find one with Bovatec or Rumensin(Monensin) with 12-14% crude protein and a crude fiber level of no more than 10%. This will insure that they haven't loaded it up with junk filler and even if contains a lot of by-products at least they are digestible.

Chris":25t9xhml said:
I'm considering feeding this years calves protein via a creep feeder. What kind of gain can I expect?
I would imagine it depends on a variety of factors including how much milk cow is supplying, but saw a feeding trial by
Purina claiming 1/4 lb per day advantage... 2.55 lbs day with Purina creep vs 2.3 lbs day with generic creep mix
(22.5 pounds more after 90 days)

p.s.
I don't know any of the details of the feeding trial.... just that Purina was bragging