Feeding pics from this morning

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
I was feeding this morning, and took my camera with me for once. It was warming up nicely, and then of course the wind started to blow.

We are feeding about 90 head here, and they are getting an alfalfa bale every other day as added supplement. Other than that they eat at the feed bunk, which is ground Barley straw, hay and kochia/barley bales. it's about 1/2 straw. They also have salt and access to some Promolas. And, of course, water which is chopped open every morning.

My favorite cow, waiting patiently for me to roll that bale out....
tn_DSC06819.jpg

Gobbling it up, there is hay in there.....
tn_DSC06820.jpg

See, there it is
tn_DSC06821.jpg

tn_DSC06823.jpg

A heifer
tn_DSC06824.jpg

And, a couple cows
tn_DSC06827.jpg

tn_DSC06828.jpg

A hind end view
tn_DSC06829.jpg

No 5% waste here...
tn_DSC06830.jpg

A snowy heifer, she didn't look like this earlier....
tn_DSC06832.jpg

The feed bunk, oops, she's not supposed to be IN there
tn_DSC06833.jpg

The feed bunk again, that's better....
tn_DSC06834.jpg

tn_DSC06835.jpg

I wish my cows would look at these pictures so they would know how good their winter weather
is here in North Mississippi. Looks awful cold and snowy up there ! Happy new years everyone !

arkcowman":1iiko4l8 said:
I wish my cows would look at these pictures so they would know how good their winter weather
is here in North Mississippi. Looks awful cold and snowy up there ! Happy new years everyone !

I am glad my cows can't see these pictures or they will know they are getting ripped off on all the high dollar feed.

"warming up nicely"

I'm still laughing about that. I'd hate to see it when it was cold......

And by the way - that's some good looking cows! :tiphat:

In picture #9 is that the original homestead house in the back ground? And in pic #10 is that a deer stand in the tree in the background? Neither has any bearing on your nice cows and lousy weather. :D Great pics. Thanks for posting.

spoon":1bimne44 said:
In picture #9 is that the original homestead house in the back ground? And in pic #10 is that a deer stand in the tree in the background? Neither has any bearing on your nice cows and lousy weather. :D Great pics. Thanks for posting.

Thanks everyone for all the comments.

granny, it was warming up nicely, went from -5 F early this morning to around 32 F by tonight. It is down rght warm out there right now, would have been lovely if it weren't for the wind and blowing snow all day. I hated to see it when it was cold. Wind chills below -40 :shock:

#9 is someone's old homestead, not ours, my dad bought the place about 15 years ago, and we took it over from him. My family's homestead is about 2 miles away from this one, well, there are several of them going right back to my great grandparent's places which are in the area although the houses are now gone.

#10 is an old play house. The trees used to be a yard.

That's my kind of weather - you can always put on a coat, whereas down south, you can only take so much off. Cold and dry beats wet and muddy.

Okay, I'm a bit ignorant. The wire around the feed bunk - I assume it is electrified? Do they learn pretty quick how close to get? If electric, how did the one cow get in there?

arkcowman":8jz3dj1k said:
Hay arkcowman im across the river from you in Marianna. Howdy :tiphat:

djinwa":2qsv5mnh said:
That's my kind of weather - you can always put on a coat, whereas down south, you can only take so much off. Cold and dry beats wet and muddy.

Okay, I'm a bit ignorant. The wire around the feed bunk - I assume it is electrified? Do they learn pretty quick how close to get? If electric, how did the one cow get in there?

It is electric, and they learn pretty fast. The one that is in there most likely was pushed through, but there are a couple that just don't respect it, and crawl through whenever they want to.

And before anyone gets too excited, we have no power there, so we have to use a battery powered fencer. In temps below about -15 C the fencer just doesn't work as well. So, we either have to separate the crawlers or put up with them. So far we are putting up with them.

pretty country..flatter than i expected..wind must howl..how far from the house are you feeding.looks like a good ways off

dieselbeef":3jqy8th5 said:
pretty country..flatter than i expected..wind must howl..how far from the house are you feeding.looks like a good ways off

We are fairly flat around where we live. About 15 miles south there are some pretty good hills that stretch all along the border (Can/USA). There are actually hills that surround us. We are always windy of some sort, usually nothing much more than a breeze, but when it wants it can get quite windy.

The yard we live in is about 2 miles straight west of where the cows are wintering. There are quite a few people that live near there, and town is only a couple miles away. Looks a lot more barren than it is.

djinwa":2k0hfxpk said:
Not here, today, it doesn't.

Latest posts