Feeding Pearl millet seed

Help Support CattleToday:

Outrigger2

Reaction score
anybody have any recommendations on feeding pearl millet seed? i have found that is comparable to corn and sorghum, and high in lysine.

I ordered some Pearl Millet seed when I was reseeding a swampy wildlife area for my cows.
Mixed it in with several other seed types. Sorta did a custom blend wanted the deer to hang around.
If I remember correctly the seed was over three bucks a lb, I was buying fifty lb sacks and that was five years ago.
Look it up on the net you might be sitting on a seed gold mine.
I have a good stand of it now and see it spread around the ranch but it did not do as well in my soil as I would of hoped.
Last year I mixed in a plain brown millet.
Cows do like it and it has good protien value.

i just called MFA - their price was $30 for 50 lb bag of the seed variety, and $35.50 for 50 lb bag of the forage variety.

ROB

That's cheep I was robbed I orderd mine from a local source Diamond R.
Care to share your seed sources contact information?
The (Pearl millet) my dad always callet it Cat Tail Millet. Is Cat Tail the same or just a slang term?

ROCK-N-W":2pprw6ov said:
That's cheep I was robbed I orderd mine from a local source Diamond R.
Care to share your seed sources contact information?
The (Pearl millet) my dad always callet it Cat Tail Millet. Is Cat Tail the same or just a slang term?

i purchased tiff leaf III which was the forage variety. i ordered it early last spring from MFA Agri-Services in Marceline, MO 660-376-2028

any MFA should be able to order the seed at nearly the same price though.

ROB

I will give them a call and look them up on the web.
I have never herd of MFA before.
Thanks
Let me know how your cows do on it.
Like I said my cows like it, good protein and it doesn't get a chance to reseed often.
Wish I had about thirty acres set aside to plant wait till it got about waist high and letum have it.

ROCK-N-W":202qbc6f said:
....I have never herd of MFA before....

probably for good reason, MFA stands for Missouri Farmers Association...you would need to contact the FFA :lol2: just kidding. hopefully though, MFA might give you their suppliers name that a local feed/seed company in your area could contact.

ROB

I imagine the freight down on a ton of seed would bring the price up to more than what I previously paid.
The last time I shipped a big order in, it cost me double for shipping than the price of the seed, and that was from Georgia.
We live in Florida not many reasonable deals here that's for sho.
Price on Bahahi seed topped 4.00 a lb this year and it is grown in this state. Go fiqure!
I here you guys talking about how high $160.00 - $190.00 a ton is for creep feed and stuff like that I gotta just shake my head, I havn't been able to buy a ton of feed for under 200 in over three years. And you better believe I shop around..

Latest posts