Feeding Out Steers in the Winter

Help Support CattleToday:

Just Curious

Reaction score
I have been finishing out my steers in the winter...
Here in Montana, it can get pretty chilly and I was just wondering what some of your thoughts might be about an animal's weight gain with snow and in sub-freezing temperatures... TIA

weight gain seems alot better in the winter than it does in the summer when it is real hot. I notice on hot humid days like we get in Michigan in the summer they reduce feed intake. In the winter they eat and gain real good.

Cattle feed better in the winter because their energy requirements are more to stay warm. As long as you can meet those requirements they will gain well. At a certain temps cattle can not eat enough to meet those requirements. For most cattle ideal I believe is 30 to 70 degrees. Cattle accustom to colder temps will do better. When you reach those 30 below for a week or two you will see problems with gain. When thinking of temp dont for get wind chill and rain, snow, mud. Muddy pens will hurt your gains also. But of course cattle will always do better in the perfect enviroment. :nod: Have you talked to any of the feedlots around. Maybe they adjust their feed dates to relate weather periods considering the harsh winters. Maybe that just works on paper theorys though. Put dollar figures on your gains and see when you can make the most profit. How many steers do you finish out normally?

Just Curious":20sug8z9 said:
I have been finishing out my steers in the winter...
Here in Montana, it can get pretty chilly and I was just wondering what some of your thoughts might be about an animal's weight gain with snow and in sub-freezing temperatures... TIA

It depends on what you're feeding, and whether you're addressing these issues. We've fed out a lot of steers in Wyoming - granted it tends to not get quite as chilly here, but it comes close - and have had no problems with weight gain, or growing out.

What type of gain are u getting per day???
We typically get anywhere from 2.6 to 2.9 for steers year round.