Feeding out calf

Help Support CattleToday:

brenda

Reaction score
Friend wants me to feed out a steer for him, ready for the freezer. How much per lb. is the norm for this?

I would figure out how much your time is worth, let them pay for the feed and the animal and add your fee to the top. When I was in the FFA, I would raise hogs and steers on the side for people. (Not the animals I was taking to the fair) I would have them pay for the animal and feed and they would pay me $50 bucks a head for the pigs and $150 for the steers, when they were slaughtered.
If they just want you to charge them at the end and you by pound it could get tricky if you give them a price now and then feed goes up 20% you could end up on the short end of the stick. This way you make a little money for your time and they get good beef fore a good price.

brenda":1kuno1eo said:
Friend wants me to feed out a steer for him, ready for the freezer. How much per lb. is the norm for this?

Start out at 1 to 2% of his body weight, and build him up from there slowly to give the microbes in his rumen time to adjust. We usually increased the feed by a lb or so over the course of 2 or 3 days. Keep an eye out for diarrhea, and/or going off feed. Both are an indication that you've increased the grain too fast. When we were feeding out steers for slaughter, we built them up to a 5 gallon bucket of ground corn per day over the course of several weeks. I'm not sure exactly what that would weigh, but I'm thinking around 10-15 lbs, maybe a little bit more.

msscamp":1clp9fg5 said:
When we were feeding out steers for slaughter, we built them up to a 5 gallon bucket of ground corn per day over the course of several weeks. I'm not sure exactly what that would weigh, but I'm thinking around 10-15 lbs, maybe a little bit more.

A 5 gallon bucket is going to weigh around 25 pounds.

grannysoo":174zdbt0 said:
msscamp":174zdbt0 said:
When we were feeding out steers for slaughter, we built them up to a 5 gallon bucket of ground corn per day over the course of several weeks. I'm not sure exactly what that would weigh, but I'm thinking around 10-15 lbs, maybe a little bit more.

A 5 gallon bucket is going to weigh around 25 pounds.

Corn is a dense grain, so it won't come out to that much.

Latest posts