Feeding out 6 year old cow for butcher

Help Support CattleToday:

sdt

Reaction score
I have a 6 year old cow,about 3 months bread, that has developed a limp in her back leg ,if I slaughter her how long should I feed her corn glutin and good hay and should I abort her calf? What cuts of meat should I keep or should I just grind her up in groundbeef ? Thanks to anyone that has feed out a older cow !!

I dont get it. Are you wanting to slaughter her because she has a limp? I have one 6 year old that actually broke her ankle, and still raises calves ( and really good ones I might add). I also have one other older cow (12 yrs old) that has been limping for about 3 years now. I even checked her out, and it seems to be just a hip problem, but doesnt keep her from getting around, eating, etc.. She also raises a great calf.
If it were me, I would let her calve; then decide what to do with the cow after she raises it. And then, if you do decide to go ahead and butcher her... I would think she would only be good for hamburger.

Limomike":2squr6xt said:
I dont get it. Are you wanting to slaughter her because she has a limp? I have one 6 year old that actually broke her ankle, and still raises calves ( and really good ones I might add). I also have one other older cow (12 yrs old) that has been limping for about 3 years now. I even checked her out, and it seems to be just a hip problem, but doesnt keep her from getting around, eating, etc.. She also raises a great calf.
If it were me, I would let her calve; then decide what to do with the cow after she raises it. And then, if you do decide to go ahead and butcher her... I would think she would only be good for hamburger.

I agree.

I need to cull some cows and thought it would be better to eat her,she would not bring anything at the salebarn.

The law here is anything over 30 months old must be ground-up. I'm not sure if that is a state law or a U.S. law, but it makes sence. Who would want steaks out of a 6 yr old cow???

show time":3it9dauv said:
The law here is anything over 30 months old must be ground-up. I'm not sure if that is a state law or a U.S. law, but it makes sence. Who would want steaks out of a 6 yr old cow???
What state are you in that has that law? The only thing about the 30 months is that in order to grade choice the animal must be under 30 months of age. ON the older cow you could at least grind most cuts and keep the tenderloin for sure, that is what I have done, some one else here must have some more experience doing this.

hayray":1toxbbbr said:
show time":1toxbbbr said:
What state are you in that has that law? The only thing about the 30 months is that in order to grade choice the animal must be under 30 months of age. ON the older cow you could at least grind most cuts and keep the tenderloin for sure, that is what I have done, some one else here must have some more experience doing this.
The USDA says that any cattle that are over 30 months you can not cut the backbone

So if a T-Bone steak is boneless is it still a T-Bone steak ?

I think many would be suprised at how many cow and bull steaks we get at some of the chain steakhouses.
How do you think they have all you can eat steak night?

Angus Cowman":18nvzddq said:
hayray":18nvzddq said:
show time":18nvzddq said:
The USDA says that any cattle that are over 30 months you can not cut the backbone

According to our butcher shop, USDA is saying anything over 30 months old can carry some kind of disease in their spine, therefore the back bone cannot be cut at all, as it could expose the (whatever) disease. They also said their gut wagon won't p/u any spines that are fully exposed (over 30 months), meaning they cannot fully cut all the meat off. BTW: I live in MO

show time":35xpnmkf said:
According to our butcher shop, USDA is saying anything over 30 months old can carry some kind of disease in their spine, therefore the back bone cannot be cut at all, as it could expose the (whatever) disease. They also said their gut wagon won't p/u any spines that are fully exposed (over 30 months), meaning they cannot fully cut all the meat off. BTW: I live in MO

BSE

The only nacker around this area has closed it's doors so now the choice for anything dead is bury, burn, compost.

The restaurants that sell the roast beef sandwiches,and deli's all rely on cow beef. The thing about cow roasts is they can be real tasty. Cooked slow and cut thin, very palatable.Steaks cubed or tenderized, dusted with flour and seared in canola or olive oil. Very GOOD!

Angus Cowman":l9o1rlmd said:
hayray":l9o1rlmd said:
show time":l9o1rlmd said:

Angus...no..the big side becomes a NY strip and the small tender side a filet mignon. Bone goes for to bone meal I assume.

[/quote]
What state are you in that has that law? The only thing about the 30 months is that in order to grade choice the animal must be under 30 months of age. ON the older cow you could at least grind most cuts and keep the tenderloin for sure, that is what I have done, some one else here must have some more experience doing this.[/quote]

So if a T-Bone steak is boneless is it still a T-Bone steak ?[/quote]

Angus...no..the big side becomes a NY strip and the small tender side a filet mignon. Bone goes for to bone meal I assume.[/quote]

The filet is the only cut they would let us keep...but I wounder why no chuck or arm roast?? We tend to get our tenderloins from hogs;)

I went to a MSU cattle feeder meeting last year and an extension agent was giving us information about how much value added carcass dollars were created with the cull cow market from organizations like Taco bell slicing cull cow muscle into thin cuts for steak fajitas. This all sounds pretty confusing to me now after hearing all of this USDA regs. I have a cull cow I was thinking of taking in. Does anyone have any clarification on this?

Latest posts