Feeding Orphan Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Most of the best milk replacers have at least 20% protein and 20% fat. I've had a lot of success with a 22% powder. I feed C.O.B. and orchard grass free choice.

highvoltagecattleco":9yc3a8o6 said:
Most of the best milk replacers have at least 20% protein and 20% fat. I've had a lot of success with a 22% powder. I feed C.O.B. and orchard grass free choice.

The milk replacer I use is 22% fat and protein. Orchard grass is good grass, but I have very, very limited access to it. I feed a variety of wheatgrasses, mixed with a little brome and orchard. Hopefully, that limited availability will change here in the next year or two - we just seeded our south field to a mix of several varieties of brome, orchard, and a couple of other varieties I don't remember right now.

msscamp":b17mr1wu said:
mom to 4":b17mr1wu said:
msscamp":b17mr1wu said:
randiliana":b17mr1wu said:
So what do you more experienced calf raisers have to say??

Well, you're not going to like my answer - but here it is. Until they are a month old (because that is generally the age they can eat pellets), they get their protein from the source nature intended - milk. That means 2 gallons/day, every day. I've tried the calf starters and such things, but discovered fairly quickly that the calves teeth are not strong enough to eat the pelleted milk replacer. It gets sorted out and goes to waste, which means I'm paying money for something that is not being utilized. I now adher to a very basic regime of milk replacer, good quality grass hay alternated with good quality alfalfa hay, good minerals, fresh water, and provide a small amount of C.O.B. (corn, oats, and barley mixed with a little molasses). I start out feeding a handful - poke a little in their mouth every time I bottle them - and, if it is not eaten within a 12 hour period, it is dumped into the bunk of the older calves or cows, and replaced with fresh. As they start eating the COB better, I start decreasing the milk replacer. This method of raising calves has worked very well for me.

Just curious, what size/breed calf are you giving 2 gal./day to?

Size: From the day they go on a bottle - varies, but usually newborn to a few days old. Breed: Whatever I can get - we raised Murray Greys, but I've also raised bottle calves that were Hereford, Red Angus, Black Angus, and Black Baldies - I've never raised a dairy breed, strictly beef because that is what is the most abundant in my area. I go with the 2 gallons/day because we used to have beef breed milkcows, and we always got at least 2 gallons/day when we milked them. If they had a calf on them, that is what the calf would be getting and I try to keep my bottle calves as close to what nature would provide as possible, without bankrupting my endeavor or making them sick. My reasoning is simple - when is the last time you saw the typical bottle calf pot gut on a calf raised by its mother? You haven't, and that tells me that, although grain and hay are important, milk is more important. I can't duplicate their mother's milk, but I can come in a pretty close second.

OK -- when I asked about this I was just curious so I could file it away for future reference. Now it looks like we may have a bottle calf. Mama is losing weight and not producing milk.

I've been using a really good milk replacer (18/21) According to the label I should give this calf 3 1/2 to 4 qts. a day. I'm sure he would eat more, but I was somehow under the impression that if I gave him much more than that, it wouldn't be good for him. Maybe give him scours/diarrhea or something. So you think it's OK to give him more? 2 gal. would double the label recommendation. He's about 70-80 lbs. angus x. Thanks.

mom to 4":1eglkwyb said:
I've been using a really good milk replacer (18/21) According to the label I should give this calf 3 1/2 to 4 qts. a day. I'm sure he would eat more, but I was somehow under the impression that if I gave him much more than that, it wouldn't be good for him. Maybe give him scours/diarrhea or something. So you think it's OK to give him more? 2 gal. would double the label recommendation. He's about 70-80 lbs. angus x. Thanks.

What is the replacer made from? If it has anything olther then milk or milk by-rpoducts, thorw it away. A calf can starve on a full belly with that soy based crap

dun

mom to 4":1y6zq7ub said:
msscamp":1y6zq7ub said:
mom to 4":1y6zq7ub said:
msscamp":1y6zq7ub said:
randiliana":1y6zq7ub said:
So what do you more experienced calf raisers have to say??

Well, you're not going to like my answer - but here it is. Until they are a month old (because that is generally the age they can eat pellets), they get their protein from the source nature intended - milk. That means 2 gallons/day, every day. I've tried the calf starters and such things, but discovered fairly quickly that the calves teeth are not strong enough to eat the pelleted milk replacer. It gets sorted out and goes to waste, which means I'm paying money for something that is not being utilized. I now adher to a very basic regime of milk replacer, good quality grass hay alternated with good quality alfalfa hay, good minerals, fresh water, and provide a small amount of C.O.B. (corn, oats, and barley mixed with a little molasses). I start out feeding a handful - poke a little in their mouth every time I bottle them - and, if it is not eaten within a 12 hour period, it is dumped into the bunk of the older calves or cows, and replaced with fresh. As they start eating the COB better, I start decreasing the milk replacer. This method of raising calves has worked very well for me.

Just curious, what size/breed calf are you giving 2 gal./day to?

Size: From the day they go on a bottle - varies, but usually newborn to a few days old. Breed: Whatever I can get - we raised Murray Greys, but I've also raised bottle calves that were Hereford, Red Angus, Black Angus, and Black Baldies - I've never raised a dairy breed, strictly beef because that is what is the most abundant in my area. I go with the 2 gallons/day because we used to have beef breed milkcows, and we always got at least 2 gallons/day when we milked them. If they had a calf on them, that is what the calf would be getting and I try to keep my bottle calves as close to what nature would provide as possible, without bankrupting my endeavor or making them sick. My reasoning is simple - when is the last time you saw the typical bottle calf pot gut on a calf raised by its mother? You haven't, and that tells me that, although grain and hay are important, milk is more important. I can't duplicate their mother's milk, but I can come in a pretty close second.

OK -- when I asked about this I was just curious so I could file it away for future reference. Now it looks like we may have a bottle calf. Mama is losing weight and not producing milk.

I look at it this way - regardless of how good the milk replacer is, it isn't as good as his mother's milk would be, so why would I want to feed him less? They don't call it milk REPLACER for no reason. ;-) If you suddenly double his milk replacer, then yes - he will probably develop scours. I increase the milk replacer by a 1/2 pint to a pint (depending on their size) per feeding for a couple of feedings, and watch the calf. If the manure remains consistent, then I will increase the milk replacer by another 1/2 to 1 pint and feed a couple more times. If the manure becomes loose, I back them down a little and let them adjust. I'm not trying to be a smart-ass here, but the easiest way to treat scours is to not let them start - everything I do is geared towards that. I do not subscribe to the feeding every 12 hours unless I'm weaning the calf off milk replacer - until then he gets at least 3 bottles/day, because a calf on his mother will nurse numerous times throughout the day. As the grain/hay consumption increases I start consolidating bottles into 3 feedings per day, and once I start the weaning process (usually around 2 to 2 1/2 months old), I start cutting down the middle bottle and eliminate it over the course of several days. At the same time, I start gradually increasing the grain I feed to make up for the loss of milk. Make sure you're milk replacer is milk and not soy, and that it is at least 20% fat and protein - 22% is better. A lot of people will say I'm wasting money, but it has worked very well for me and I will continue to do what I'm doing.

Don't give him more...I always start at 3 pints per feeding then gradually move to four in a week. I agree dont feed Soy. Don't go cheap on replacer. If you use good replacer it cuts down on scours big time. I introduce C.O.B. on the third day. This gets the rumen going. I also use probios for the first two weeks. When we started using probios it really kept them regular.

The milk replacer is made from milk. I could see where he could use a little extra in the middle of the day, just to keep him from getting the hungries, since they are used to eating whenever they're hungry... just like our babies.
I gave him probios yesterday. Can I give it daily?
I've raised a lot of bottle calves, but it's always good to hear from another perspective... we never stop learning.

mom to 4":2wxha5uw said:
I gave him probios yesterday. Can I give it daily?

Why would you want to? The whole purpose of probios is to reinstate good bacteria killed off due to treating with antibiotics, acidosis, or something else that upsets the natural flora in the gut - if you have not treated with antibiotics, your calf has not suffered a bout of acidosis, or had scours recently, you're wasting money on unneccesary treatments.

mom to 4":3cnskiwi said:
Just read a great article on a thread from last year:
Bottle Feeding info

Thanks randilana!

You're welcome. Just remember to take everything you read with a grain of salt. If something sounds way out to lunch to you it is a good idea to research it more.

On the probios; I dont use it daily. Once every fifth day. That is just a personal preference. I notice a change in their waste. I definately follow up any form of stress with probios. Stress from castration, vaccinations, and medications. I have had good results with probios, but I'm not advocating daily use. We all have different protocals and things that work for us. I'm always making little changes. Each calf will present its own problems. I had one 3 months ago that had to be lactose intollerant. Everytime we put him back on milk he would scour. I changed brands, probios everyday, nothing worked. Finally, I pulled the milk and left him on grain and hay. He made out fine.

From a first time bottle feeder, I would like to add for any newbee's, don't get discouraged...I learned alot from this post...like..

- calves will drink 2 gallons of milk replacer a day ...but the two i'm feeding had to work up to that took a couple of weeks.

- Some posts state that calf starter or some sort of feed is given as early as the first week...someone had posted that calves really cannot eat much before 3 weeks....I thought for sure something was wrong as they did not eat.. BUT TODAY our calves are 3 wks 1 day old and are eating grain/calf starter today!!..they have been munching a little hay/grass.

Been watching calves on thier momma's for a few years, and they don't eat as early as these...don't know why i didn't put 2 and 2 together...Just anxious to get these bottle babies independent, but growing well.

This forum is great information, thanks for everyones input. Donna

donnaIL":1z1oq97p said:
Been watching calves on thier momma's for a few years, and they don't eat as early as these...don't know why i didn't put 2 and 2 together...

I'm curious about this. Which calves don't eat as early, the bottle calves or the ones on the cow?

dun

The ones on our cows haven't ever eaten grain that early (course I don't buy starter for them either), guess my post was not that clear.

We give our cows a little grain each day, and after thinking about trying to teach these 2 week old calves to eat it, I cannot recall any of our calves (on the cows)being interested in grain at that early of an age. They munch on hay and grass at a couple weeks. I should keep better notes (the memory isn't as good as it use to be). Seems we start giving the calves a little sweet feed at a few months old, after they start coming up with the cows and licking the bowl & showing interest.

Since I never had to bottle feed before, this is all new to me. I just wanted to post that these twin calves I have were not eager to eat grain (the rolled corn,oats,barley)or purina calf starter..and that they started at 1 gallon of milk replacer a day and have slowly increased to 2 gallons a day. And I am happy they are eating because the sooner they do the sooner I can wean them.

They are good sized calves..I would guess at birth the heifer weighed 65lbs and the bull 75lbs.(maybe bigger).They have grown good.. Here's a picture on Easter...They were not yet 2 weeks old. Donna

everyone_1_.JPG

donnaIL":2kzye52r said:
The ones on our cows haven't ever eaten grain that early (course I don't buy starter for them either), guess my post was not that clear.

We give our cows a little grain each day, and after thinking about trying to teach these 2 week old calves to eat it, I cannot recall any of our calves (on the cows)being interested in grain at that early of an age. They munch on hay and grass at a couple weeks. I should keep better notes (the memory isn't as good as it use to be). Seems we start giving the calves a little sweet feed at a few months old, after they start coming up with the cows and licking the bowl & showing interest.

Since I never had to bottle feed before, this is all new to me. I just wanted to post that these twin calves I have were not eager to eat grain (the rolled corn,oats,barley)or purina calf starter..and that they started at 1 gallon of milk replacer a day and have slowly increased to 2 gallons a day. And I am happy they are eating because the sooner they do the sooner I can wean them.

They are good sized calves..I would guess at birth the heifer weighed 65lbs and the bull 75lbs.(maybe bigger).They have grown good.. Here's a picture on Easter...They were not yet 2 weeks old. Donna

everyone_1_.JPG

Oh my gosh, Donna? Are those the ones? They look fabulous!

Alice

Thats them, 3 weeks old on Tuesday. Thanks Alice for your help. Donna

donnaIL":25xiosu4 said:
Thats them, 3 weeks old on Tuesday. Thanks Alice for your help. Donna

My pleasure...but your dedication and intuition...that's what saved them, darlin'. I couldn't be more pleased if they were mine.

Good Job!

Alice