Feeding Orphan Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
At the moment, we have 5 orphans. 1 twin, 1 off a cow with no milk, 1 off a wild heifer with no milk, and 1 that was injured when we pulled it. The fifth is still on mama, but will be coming off by the end of the month when mama goes to town. Anyways, all calves are doing well, and the four on the bottle are eating well they are getting 1 1/2 L/3 times a day,which works out to just over 1 gal per day.

Just wondering what sort of protien they need in a calf ration. I'm thinking that they need fairly high protien, and we can get an 18% dairy calf starter from our coop. There are others out there that range from 13% - 21%. I am leery of using the lower end stuff, and wonder if they really need the higher end stuff? So far, the best price is on the stuff we can get from our coop. So what do you more experienced calf raisers have to say??

randiliana":246v8j45 said:
At the moment, we have 5 orphans. 1 twin, 1 off a cow with no milk, 1 off a wild heifer with no milk, and 1 that was injured when we pulled it. The fifth is still on mama, but will be coming off by the end of the month when mama goes to town. Anyways, all calves are doing well, and the four on the bottle are eating well they are getting 1 1/2 L/3 times a day,which works out to just over 1 gal per day.

Just wondering what sort of protien they need in a calf ration. I'm thinking that they need fairly high protien, and we can get an 18% dairy calf starter from our coop. There are others out there that range from 13% - 21%. I am leery of using the lower end stuff, and wonder if they really need the higher end stuff? So far, the best price is on the stuff we can get from our coop. So what do you more experienced calf raisers have to say??
your on the right track feeding the 18% calf starter.the babies need the high protine to grow.

randiliana":ebq2k8ou said:
So what do you more experienced calf raisers have to say??

Well, you're not going to like my answer - but here it is. Until they are a month old (because that is generally the age they can eat pellets), they get their protein from the source nature intended - milk. That means 2 gallons/day, every day. I've tried the calf starters and such things, but discovered fairly quickly that the calves teeth are not strong enough to eat the pelleted milk replacer. It gets sorted out and goes to waste, which means I'm paying money for something that is not being utilized. I now adher to a very basic regime of milk replacer, good quality grass hay alternated with good quality alfalfa hay, good minerals, fresh water, and provide a small amount of C.O.B. (corn, oats, and barley mixed with a little molasses). I start out feeding a handful - poke a little in their mouth every time I bottle them - and, if it is not eaten within a 12 hour period, it is dumped into the bunk of the older calves or cows, and replaced with fresh. As they start eating the COB better, I start decreasing the milk replacer. This method of raising calves has worked very well for me.

I usually put mine on around 16% grain mix, and straight alfalfa hay as soon as they'll eat it. Getting them started eating grain is more important than hay. I wean as soon as I can, and I find I can (or at least could in the past, haven't worked the numbers lately) feed 2% of their body weight daily in grain (or more) for cheaper than milk replacer, and they grew just as well. I push mine as hard as I can, and I see no reason a bottle calf can't turn out as nice or better than a cow-raised calf.

msscamp":zjp0ibr8 said:
randiliana":zjp0ibr8 said:

Well, you're not going to like my answer - but here it is. Until they are a month old (because that is generally the age they can eat pellets), they get their protein from the source nature intended - milk. That means 2 gallons/day, every day. I've tried the calf starters and such things, but discovered fairly quickly that the calves teeth are not strong enough to eat the pelleted milk replacer. It gets sorted out and goes to waste, which means I'm paying money for something that is not being utilized. I now adher to a very basic regime of milk replacer, good quality grass hay alternated with good quality alfalfa hay, good minerals, fresh water, and provide a small amount of C.O.B. (corn, oats, and barley mixed with a little molasses). I start out feeding a handful - poke a little in their mouth every time I bottle them - and, if it is not eaten within a 12 hour period, it is dumped into the bunk of the older calves or cows, and replaced with fresh. As they start eating the COB better, I start decreasing the milk replacer. This method of raising calves has worked very well for me.

Your answer is fine msscamp. You feed more milk replacer, which may be increased here because I can't stand a hungry baby. The grain you are describing is more or less what we are probably going to end up using. Our co-op carries a Dairy calf starter that is a rolled ration (oats, barley, corn and molasses), and it is the cheapest feed we have found so far. I was just wondering on the % protien that the calves would need.

milkmaid":oc5ixcew said:
I usually put mine on around 16% grain mix, and straight alfalfa hay as soon as they'll eat it. Getting them started eating grain is more important than hay. I wean as soon as I can, and I find I can (or at least could in the past, haven't worked the numbers lately) feed 2% of their body weight daily in grain (or more) for cheaper than milk replacer, and they grew just as well. I push mine as hard as I can, and I see no reason a bottle calf can't turn out as nice or better than a cow-raised calf.

Thank you Milkmaid. That is more or less what I wanted to know. I think we are going to try to raise these calves by hand. A couple will go on the holstien cow once she calves, but she can't take all of them.

randiliana":25zm9y3u said:
msscamp":25zm9y3u said:
randiliana":25zm9y3u said:

Your answer is fine msscamp. You feed more milk replacer, which may be increased here because I can't stand a hungry baby. The grain you are describing is more or less what we are probably going to end up using. Our co-op carries a Dairy calf starter that is a rolled ration (oats, barley, corn and molasses), and it is the cheapest feed we have found so far. I was just wondering on the % protien that the calves would need.

Thank you, randiliana, I appreciate that very much. I wish I could tell you the protein content in the C.O.B., but I honestly don't know what it is - I'm afraid I tend to do things based on what I know what will work, without all the analysis. :oops: All I know is that it grows bottle babies very well, is very palatable, and doesn't cost a fortune.

msscamp":6gbr42cq said:
Thank you, randiliana, I appreciate that very much. I wish I could tell you the protein content in the C.O.B., but I honestly don't know what it is - I'm afraid I tend to do things based on what I know what will work, without all the analysis. :oops: All I know is that it grows bottle babies very well, is very palatable, and doesn't cost a fortune.

Not a problem. If it works for you, it is worth considering here. I know from past experience that pellets are not as palatable as the rolled grains. We have occaisonally used them in rations for older animals and many times they sort the pellets out and eat everything else out. Makes much more sense to feed them what they like. Do you buy the stuff premixed? Because (at least here), they always have that info on the bag or you can get it from the place you buy it. I'm just curious is all.

randiliana":10nprsqg said:
msscamp":10nprsqg said:

Not a problem. If it works for you, it is worth considering here. I know from past experience that pellets are not as palatable as the rolled grains. We have occaisonally used them in rations for older animals and many times they sort the pellets out and eat everything else out. Makes much more sense to feed them what they like. Do you buy the stuff premixed? Because (at least here), they always have that info on the bag or you can get it from the place you buy it. I'm just curious is all.

Yes, I buy it pre-mixed from the feed mill, in 50# gunny sacks. BUT, they are open Saturday mornings, and I will give them a call and see what the protein content is. Now why didn't I think of that? :roll: :oops: Expect an answer Saturday afternoon/evening! :D

msscamp":347fxuqf said:
randiliana":347fxuqf said:

Just curious, what size/breed calf are you giving 2 gal./day to?

mom to 4":294n4xwf said:
msscamp":294n4xwf said:
randiliana":294n4xwf said:

Just curious, what size/breed calf are you giving 2 gal./day to?

Size: From the day they go on a bottle - varies, but usually newborn to a few days old. Breed: Whatever I can get - we raised Murray Greys, but I've also raised bottle calves that were Hereford, Red Angus, Black Angus, and Black Baldies - I've never raised a dairy breed, strictly beef because that is what is the most abundant in my area. I go with the 2 gallons/day because we used to have beef breed milkcows, and we always got at least 2 gallons/day when we milked them. If they had a calf on them, that is what the calf would be getting and I try to keep my bottle calves as close to what nature would provide as possible, without bankrupting my endeavor or making them sick. My reasoning is simple - when is the last time you saw the typical bottle calf pot gut on a calf raised by its mother? You haven't, and that tells me that, although grain and hay are important, milk is more important. I can't duplicate their mother's milk, but I can come in a pretty close second.

msscamp":g1yo2ii4 said:
Yes, I buy it pre-mixed from the feed mill, in 50# gunny sacks. BUT, they are open Saturday mornings, and I will give them a call and see what the protein content is. Now why didn't I think of that? :roll: :oops: Expect an answer Saturday afternoon/evening! :D

Thanks. Not that I expected you to run out and find the answer right away for me. As I said, just curious. :p

randiliana":1y9gqnsf said:
msscamp":1y9gqnsf said:

Thanks. Not that I expected you to run out and find the answer right away for me. As I said, just curious. :p

It is at least 15% protein, no one who really knew was available today so I went with my standby - Dad.

msscamp":lrp4x71b said:
randiliana":lrp4x71b said:
msscamp":lrp4x71b said:

It is at least 15% protein, no one who really knew was available today so I went with my standby - Dad.

Isn't it amazing how much trivia us old fa rts have stored in our brains?

All you had to do was ask the guy who did it for years.

He may not be bang on but for sure he will be close.

Young lady - some day you too will be as smart as us old guys.

Unfortunately you have to get old first!!

:D

Bez>

[/quote] I now adher to a very basic regime of milk replacer, good quality grass hay alternated with good quality alfalfa hay, good minerals, fresh water, and provide a small amount of C.O.B. (corn, oats, and barley mixed with a little molasses). I start out feeding a handful - poke a little in their mouth every time I bottle them - and, if it is not eaten within a 12 hour period, it is dumped into the bunk of the older calves or cows, and replaced with fresh.[/quote]

Why do you alternate grass and alfalfa hay?

milkmaid":9r17fcvm said:

We have or have had several cows that were bottle raised that have made good cows. Dairies do it all the time. I don't know why some people think bottle raised calves cannot make a cow or bull. For instance one of the leading bulls in the Hereford breed was bottle raised and someone is making good money off him.

tom4018":1otocc65 said:
We have or have had several cows that were bottle raised that have made good cows. Dairies do it all the time. I don't know why some people think bottle raised calves cannot make a cow or bull. For instance one of the leading bulls in the Hereford breed was bottle raised and someone is making good money off him.

Because, most people that do bottle calves don't invest the money to feed them correctly. They expect them to grow on milk replacer and grass. And those calves are just little pot bellied things that usually don't amount to anything. You have to feed them right for them to grow right.

I now adher to a very basic regime of milk replacer, good quality grass hay alternated with good quality alfalfa hay, good minerals, fresh water, and provide a small amount of C.O.B. (corn, oats, and barley mixed with a little molasses). I start out feeding a handful - poke a little in their mouth every time I bottle them - and, if it is not eaten within a 12 hour period, it is dumped into the bunk of the older calves or cows, and replaced with fresh.[/quote]

Why do you alternate grass and alfalfa hay?[/quote]

I alternate at first because they are not used to alfalfa, and I don't need sick calves. Later, I alternate because I don't want to take a chance on bloating them by feeding straight alfalfa, and because grass hay has a tendency to help straighten out digestive problems, such as diahrea(sp?) while they are adjusting to grain. A calf that has a stomach upset will usually eat grass hay even if it is refusing everything else.

Bez>":15ljf84m said:
msscamp":15ljf84m said:
randiliana":15ljf84m said:
msscamp":15ljf84m said:

Isn't it amazing how much trivia us old fa rts have stored in our brains?

All you had to do was ask the guy who did it for years.

He may not be bang on but for sure he will be close.

Young lady - some day you too will be as smart as us old guys.

Unfortunately you have to get old first!!

:D

Bez>

:lol: :lol: Very true, very true! I can only hope, and aging would be a small price to pay to be as smart as you 'old farts' are! ;-) :lol:

Latest posts