Feeding Minerals

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
I have been mixing minerals (I use the loose minerals that is marketed by Southern States, the one I use is the high magnesium) with beef mix. I have a lot of new pasture that is still green even now. We have had the wettest year since records have been recorded, over 60 inches of precipation since January 1, 2011. I have one of the free choice feeders but I wanted to be sure they were getting minerals. I mix about 3/4 of a cup of minerals in a bucket of feed for 12 head. I realize this is not precise but it assures me they are getting some. Any comments on this practice?

inyati13":gxnfg3ho said:
I have been mixing minerals (I use the loose minerals that is marketed by Southern States, the one I use is the high magnesium) with beef mix. I have a lot of new pasture that is still green even now. We have had the wettest year since records have been recorded, over 60 inches of precipation since January 1, 2011. I have one of the free choice feeders but I wanted to be sure they were getting minerals. I mix about 3/4 of a cup of minerals in a bucket of feed for 12 head. I realize this is not precise but it assures me they are getting some. Any comments on this practice?
Most mineral instruct four ounces per head per day ration, I wouldn't think 3/4 cup for 12 head is worth the effort???

I use Southern States minerals free choice. It's mixed with salt which helps regulate intake. I don't mix with feed as mine seldom get any of that.
fitz

I use Purina wind and rain products (High mag when on winter pasture). I like that it stays in my feeders and doesn't get blower out, not that it's any better than other minerals. I never feed in feed, just free choice. Sometimes my cows consume more sometimes less. I figure they get what they need that way.

B&M Farms":ab8tdwel said:
I use Purina wind and rain products (High mag when on winter pasture). I like that it stays in my feeders and doesn't get blower out, not that it's any better than other minerals. I never feed in feed, just free choice. Sometimes my cows consume more sometimes less. I figure they get what they need that way.
I've been using it to for while....look for the one with "Availa-4"....all the trace minerals are organic.

Thanks to all. I think getting minerals into your cattle is a hard nut to crack. I don't use a lot of feed. Just enough to get them to consume the minerals. I have started putting two cups of minerals into the feed. The problem I see with free choice is the uncertainty that the needed minerals are getting into the animal. I have one of those circular free choice feeders where there are three compartments covered by a heavy round flap that they lift with their head. It works fine but I am around my cows enough to know that a couple never use the thing. In addition, the ones that do don't really know if they are getting the right amount. I don't know. I just feel like there needs to be a baseline amount getting into their system.

inyati13":s2misx56 said:
Thanks to all. I think getting minerals into your cattle is a hard nut to crack. I don't use a lot of feed. Just enough to get them to consume the minerals. I have started putting two cups of minerals into the feed. The problem I see with free choice is the uncertainty that the needed minerals are getting into the animal. I have one of those circular free choice feeders where there are three compartments covered by a heavy round flap that they lift with their head. It works fine but I am around my cows enough to know that a couple never use the thing. In addition, the ones that do don't really know if they are getting the right amount. I don't know. I just feel like there needs to be a baseline amount getting into their system.
Those that don't consume mineral probably don't need it. If the feed comes from a bag it should ahve some minerals in it too. The mineral you put out should be formulated in a way to give the cattle an adequate amount of each mineral. Force feeding won't hurt anything 'cept your pocket book.

inyati13":1jfbjt8a said:

That's why mine is mixed with their salt. Get the mix you want and put with salt. To begin with, you may have to regulate the ratio to achieve the intake you want.

fitz

fitz":3b07p5nf said:
inyati13":3b07p5nf said:
Loose mineral already has salt mixed in. If you mix it with salt, your cattle will definitely not get enough minerals.

That's why mine is mixed with their salt. Get the mix you want and put with salt. To begin with, you may have to regulate the ratio to achieve the intake you want.

fitz

TexasBred":2pauxz40 said:
B&M Farms":2pauxz40 said:
I've been using it to for while....look for the one with "Availa-4"....all the trace minerals are organic.
Thanks TB. Im not sure if what I'm using has Availa-4 or not. I will check it out next time I'm at the feed store.

B&M Farms":1fbiebc3 said:
TexasBred":1fbiebc3 said:
B&M Farms":1fbiebc3 said:
Thanks TB. Im not sure if what I'm using has Availa-4 or not. I will check it out next time I'm at the feed store.
B&M actually I think the tag just says AV-4 at the top of the tag.

What about feeding minerals containing Bovatec? I want to make sure each stocker calves is getting enought, so i mix a little feed with it and feed the correct amount per calf each day. I like checking on them everyday so there is no real extra time involved. Helps me move the calves easily between paddocks also. For cows i see no reason to do anyting special but have out free choice.

Douglas":2bvm7ca6 said:
What about feeding minerals containing Bovatec? I want to make sure each stocker calves is getting enought, so i mix a little feed with it and feed the correct amount per calf each day. I like checking on them everyday so there is no real extra time involved. Helps me move the calves easily between paddocks also. For cows i see no reason to do anyting special but have out free choice.
Unless you're mixing the mineral into the feed at the recommended daily consumption rate they'll not get the recommended amount of bovatec either.