Feeding lightweight calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Hereford2

Reaction score
High I'm wondering what the Best high protein feed is for 300 pound beef and dairy calves on fair quality forage. To get Optimal weight gain without messing up their rumen for digesting the grass. They're in pasture, free choice grass getting 10 pounds of 17% protein feed that's Dried distillers grain. Soy hull corn gluten pellets and soybean meal. The 10pounds of grain is divided between 3head. I'm wondering if there is a better option for the calves. Any ideas are appreciated.

What role is cost/profit playing in the equation? Eliminate profit and the world is your oyster!

I want to make a profit for sure. I've been raising calves this way on this ration with a nice profit. Just wondering if there is a better option out there, that may cost a little more per hundred , but have better results, while feeding less pounds per head, so it balances out in cost. Hopefully that makes sense.

I'm a stickler on CHEAP feed. Whole shell corn, with a good protein supplement to bring your protein up to ? 15-17% may be the cheapest you can get.
Yes, you will see WSC in their manure. If you can buy WSC for 8% cheaper than processed corn, you are money and nutrition ahead. And calves LOVE chunky feed - not pulverized powder.
I use WSC for weaned replacements thru the winter until grass. I use WSC for my show string - along with additives, but WSC is the base of my feed.

I can get Soybean meal for $36 a hundred, seems expensive. But google says it's 45/50% protein, do any of you feed lightweight calves that are also on forage and have a mixture that is cost effective for raising them to 500/600 pounds and reselling them. I know different areas different feeds cost more or less. Just because what I have been doing is working, doesn't mean there's not something better out there. I'm wanting to learn.

I can get Soybean meal for $36 a hundred, seems expensive. But google says it's 45/50% protein, do any of you feed lightweight calves that are also on forage and have a mixture that is cost effective for raising them to 500/600 pounds and reselling them. I know different areas different feeds cost more or less. Just because what I have been doing is working, doesn't mean there's not something better out there. I'm wanting to learn.
That's $720 a ton so way too expensive. I have a few 350-500 but all they are getting is grass, water, and good mineral. Good feed would be great but I don't see it as cost effective as long as i have grass.

Get a forage test to see what they're getting from your pasture. Look at the NCS (?) tables for their weight and class and what you want them to gain. Then design a feed program to fit. It sounds complicated, but it is the answer to what you want to do.

I called the local mill and asked what they used for stockers. Not too cheap (a little over $400/ton) but I don't think it's got enough corn, about 2/3 of the blend, to mess up the rumen at 5# per day on grass and clover. Calves appear to be doing great, they look real good.

High I'm wondering what the Best high protein feed is for 300 pound beef and dairy calves on fair quality forage. To get Optimal weight gain without messing up their rumen for digesting the grass. They're in pasture, free choice grass getting 10 pounds of 17% protein feed that's Dried distillers grain. Soy hull corn gluten pellets and soybean meal. The 10pounds of grain is divided between 3head. I'm wondering if there is a better option for the calves. Any ideas are appreciated.
Your mix should work well. Gradually increase it as the grow

The old theory is more than 1/2 of 1% of body weight of starch would inhibit the digestion of forage. Texasbred may weigh in here. As I stated earlier, if your forage quality is sufficient for the gain you desire, no supplement is necessary. This would be high quality forage. If supplementation is required, non-starch products like soy hull pellets are good. Texasbred should weigh in here.

What I'm currently getting is close to that in price, it has a lot of fines which makes them cough, if it wasn't for them coughing, I'd stick to what I'm using, I called my local feed mill and they recommend a 12% pellet feed that's $360 a ton, the feed guy uses it for his calves. So I may go with that, are protein tubs a good idea? I found a 24% protein/mineral tub 200 pounds for $47.

Protein tubs are not economical. If you are worried about coughing, you could just do half corn half corn gluten pellets. That should be around 15% protein. I think you want more than 12% protein, especially for lighter ones.

Protein tubs are not economical. If you are worried about coughing, you could just do half corn half corn gluten pellets. That should be around 15% protein. I think you want more than 12% protein, especially for lighter ones.
Thank you,, I wish I knew who to ask all of the questions I have about raising calves, and what grain is the right one for my operation. It seems like there's so many variables. I've read a Lot of stuff and talked to a lot of people, but I want to learn more...

Thank you,, I wish I knew who to ask all of the questions I have about raising calves, and what grain is the right one for my operation. It seems like there's so many variables. I've read a Lot of stuff and talked to a lot of people, but I want to learn more...
Have you talked to your extension agent yet? Although all are not perfect many things they can get you good info on.

Latest posts