Feeding Light Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

TerraceRidge

Reaction score
I am new to cattle, but I have been doing a fair bit of research on rations. Right now I am looking at buying a few 250 lb. weaned calves from a local farmer to raise for freezer beef, and I would like to know everyone's input. Based on some nutrient requirement tables I have found, I am considering feeding the calves 2lbs of soybean meal and 3lbs of cracked corn per head per day with free choice hay/grazing. I would like to see at least 1.75 lbs/day ADG, but more would be better. Do you think that ration will meet my expectations?

I'm no good at figuring rations, but as the calves grow you will want to increase the grain percentage of their diet to keep them growing properly. You will need to rap them up fairly slowly to the 2% of their weight range and keep it at that percentage as they grow.

TerraceRidge":2bdpv21b said:
I am new to cattle, but I have been doing a fair bit of research on rations. Right now I am looking at buying a few 250 lb. weaned calves from a local farmer to raise for freezer beef, and I would like to know everyone's input. Based on some nutrient requirement tables I have found, I am considering feeding the calves 2lbs of soybean meal and 3lbs of cracked corn per head per day with free choice hay/grazing. I would like to see at least 1.75 lbs/day ADG, but more would be better. Do you think that ration will meet my expectations?
Make it 1 lb. soybean meal and 4 lbs. of corn along with plenty of roughage. Gonna be an extremely high energy grain ration so the roughage is critical. Maintaint he 1:4 ration but gradually increase total grain ration as calves grow.You may eventually get the 1.75 lbs./day gain once you get the grain ration increased.

TexasBred":pcc2172z said:
TerraceRidge":pcc2172z said:
Make it 1 lb. soybean meal and 4 lbs. of corn along with plenty of roughage. Gonna be an extremely high energy grain ration so the roughage is critical. Maintaint he 1:4 ration but gradually increase total grain ration as calves grow.You may eventually get the 1.75 lbs./day gain once you get the grain ration increased.

Will one pound of soybean meal provide enough protein for calves that young?

Are these Holsteins ?
Are you wanting to make money ?
You can grow frame on beef calves for less money, but holsteins are another story

Depending on whether you have good pasture or hay will make a difference on what ration to use
I would worry about getting the ration too hot

Not knowing any of the above
This is what I would recommend
50% corn
25% soybean meal
25% oats
The oats will help insure they're getting enough roughage and they say oats keep calves growing
That's going to put the ration at about 18-19% protein
So depending on your hay or grass that may need to be adjusted
Depending on what you have available that may need to be adjusted

cross_7":32b80rlk said:
Are these Holsteins ?
You can grow frame on beef calves for less money, but holsteins are another story

Depending on whether you have good pasture or hay will make a difference on what ration to use

50% corn
25% soybean meal
25% oats
The oats will help insure they're getting enough roughage and they say oats keep calves growing
That's going to put the ration at about 18-19%
So depending on your hay that may need to be adjusted

No, these are Angus/Hereford crosses, and yes, I do want to make money. I have stockpiled fescue and average quality bermuda hay for forage. Also, oats would be pretty expensive to add to the ration.

I have another question, too: would it be alright to feed them a fairly high amount of grain until they are about 500 lbs and then just let them have grazing and about 0.5% of their bodyweight in corn until they are ready to be finished? Thanks!

"TerraceRidge"
No, these are Angus/Hereford crosses, and yes, I do want to make money. I have stockpiled fescue and average quality bermuda hay for forage. Also, oats would be pretty expensive to add to the ration.

I have another question, too: would it be alright to feed them a fairly high amount of grain until they are about 500 lbs and then just let them have grazing and about 0.5% of their bodyweight in corn until they are ready to be finished? Thanks!
The protein in the fescue and bermuda is probably going to be too low
You could feed whole cotton seed, soybeans or whatever is available in your area to get the protein up to where you need it.
Your going to be lacking protein and the corn won't help that and at that age (corn) isn't going benefit enough to warrant the cost(IMO)
Anything you spend is coming out of your profit
The corn when they reach 500# may help or may not, it's going depend on your hay/grass and what the corns going to cost
If you have a source on cheap corn ;-) if not I wouldn't start on pushing them with corn till they were ready to finish

TerraceRidge":2rqdozz1 said:
TexasBred":2rqdozz1 said:
TerraceRidge":2rqdozz1 said:

Will one pound of soybean meal provide enough protein for calves that young?

Withe the 1:4 mix you'll have a 16% crude protein. Should be more than enough protein.

cross_7":27li8k67 said:
Are these Holsteins ?

50% corn
25% soybean meal
25% oats

That's entirely too much protein. We're not feeding lactating dairy cattle. ;-) That ration will be extremely expensive as well. 16% with adequate roughage should be more than enough to grow both frame and muscle.

TexasBred":2p7nff3j said:
cross_7":2p7nff3j said:
Are these Holsteins ?

50% corn
25% soybean meal
25% oats

That's entirely too much protein. We're not feeding lactating dairy cattle. ;-) That ration will be extremely expensive as well. 16% with adequate roughage should be more than enough to grow both frame and muscle.

I disagree, when you factor the lower protein fescue and bermuda its going to bring down the total protein and thats what it's going to take in order to have enough total protein required to get good gain

cross_7":3ncs8h6f said:
I disagree, when you factor the lower protein fescue and bermuda its going to bring down the total protein and thats what it's going to take in order to have enough total protein required to get good gain

They don't need that much. And the oats are a total waste. They'll get fiber from the hay.

TexasBred":39zaoefd said:
cross_7":39zaoefd said:

They don't need that much. And the oats are a total waste. They'll get fiber from the hay.

At that time of the recommendation I wasn't aware of what roughage was going to be available and stated as much

How many pounds of supplement are you talking about feeding ?
That may be where you and I are off

I'm feeding a 800lb steer right now for butcher and have him on a creep feeder.
3 to 1 corn and 20% cubes. Am I wrong with this ration?

cross_7":n0zjbexr said:
TexasBred":n0zjbexr said:
cross_7":n0zjbexr said:

At that time of the recommendation I wasn't aware of what roughage was going to be available and stated as much

I'm thinking supplement and you must be thinking full on feed

cross_7":qlgsdoag said:

I'm thinking supplement and you must be thinking full on feed
The supplement does not need to be over 16% Crude Protein and the total ration can be from 10.8% to 13% as long as the NEm and NEg are adequate. I always recommend that the feeder attempt to feed a 50:50 supplement:roughage diet if possible but not more than a 60:40 ratio. These calves need to be pushed up to 3% of body weight as quickly as possible once they become adjusted to the high energy diet and feeding levels adjusted accordingly as the calves grain weight. I see no reason why 250+ weight calves couldn't eat 9 lbs. per head per day of the total ration within a week. As the calves grow you can lower the crude protein levels even more. There is no need to increase the cost of gain by feeding excessive amounts of protein from start to finish.

If you don't want to weigh and mix you can simply buy a high quality 16% textured (sweet) horse feed and feed accordingly.

My theory is to have a higher protein supplement and feed it according to the protein in the grass/hay to achieve the proper amount of gain
Feeding less therefore costing less and improving the profit margin on the calves
I can't see the energy being and issue on calves this light ? ( that's a question not a statement)
NEm and neg is around 2.0 or so ?
I'd argue with someone else but your too thick headed :)
Seriously though I ain't too stubborn to listen to another way of doing things

cross_7":no1zcukv said:
My theory is to have a higher protein supplement and feed it according to the protein in the grass/hay to achieve the proper amount of gain
Feeding less therefore costing less and improving the profit margin on the calves
I can't see the energy being and issue on calves this light ? ( that's a question not a statement)

See previous post. No argument needed. Just tryin g to help the young man that posted the original question. You do your anyway you want.

TexasBred":6itl4vo0 said:
cross_7":6itl4vo0 said:

See previous post. No argument needed. Just tryin g to help the young man that posted the original question. You do your anyway you want.

True, didn't intend to hijack the thread

Don't worry about hijacking the thread; I'm enjoying reading this conversation! It's very interesting and thought provoking. By the way, this: http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-1921/E-974web.pdf
is the nutrition table that I was studying. It seems to imply that 300 lb. calves gaining 1.75 lbs/day need a diet of 15% crude protein. Is this information wrong, or am I reading the table incorrectly?

Look at Tble 4, Page 13 for 300 lb. steers and heifers. It doesn't have a 1.75 lb. per day gain but does have a 1.5 lb. per head per day gain. Matches what I recommended almost exactly.