Feeding Highland cattle??

Help Support CattleToday:

charangusman08

Reaction score
How do you feed Highland feeder cattle? My brother bought 3 last spring so we have had these things for around 10 months. They were born on September 2007, and purchased them around June 2008. They were around 300 pounds when he bought them and now they weigh around 550. 250 pounds in 10 months sounds terrible to me. We fed them good alphalfa hay and grass pasture since he bought them. So anyone know how we can feed them so they actualy put on some lbs?

Is not the Highlander breed a minature breed and that is about as big as it will get. It has long shaggy hair and is a mountain breed from Scotland

Thats pretty good growth for a Highlander. You have to remember this is a slow growing breed of cattle, females aren't usually bred until they are 3 yrs. If your brother brought steers to eat then he has bumbed out as they won't even look to be finished until 3 or 4 yrs.

"Is not the Highlander breed a minature breed and that is about as big as it will get. It has long shaggy hair and is a mountain breed from Scotland
Yes the Highlander is a hairy, shaggy breed of cattle from Scotland though I don't think the breed as a whole can be classed as a "Miniature" breed Bulls usually weigh around 1000kg (approx 2200lbs) & Cows weigh around 700kg - 800kg (approx 1540lbs - 1760lbs) Frame size is usually around 4.5

cowboy43":rur36ekd said:
Is not the Highlander breed a minature breed and that is about as big as it will get. It has long shaggy hair and is a mountain breed from Scotland

No. The Highland is a moderate framed breed, the Miniature Highland is a miniature breed. Much like you have Hereford and Miniature Hereford.

I think they are a worthless breed myself. Better off getting some beef feeders and feeding them out in 15-18 months instead of putting up with these worthless creatures. But thats just me. Thanks everyone.

One thing about Highlanders. They go REALLY REALLY cheap at sales.

Probably a reason. :cowboy:

"One thing about Highlanders. They go REALLY REALLY cheap at sales.
Probably a reason.
I think that has a lot to do with the amount of hair & the long horns. I sold a 8mth old steer right off the mother no creep feeding & got a $1.20 a kg he went 220kg (484lbs) total $264.00 I should have kept him longer but needs must & he (& the others) had to go.

"I think they are a worthless breed myself. Better off getting some beef feeders and feeding them out in 15-18 months instead of putting up with these worthless creatures. But thats just me. Thanks everyone.
If the end goal is to sell the beef for the freezer than yes some beef feeders would have been the best choice, but if your brother wanted something different from the everyday run of the mill cattle, than Highlanders are different.
They do make a great terminal cross especially if the cows are crossed with a Murray Grey the calves are born small hit the ground & grow like weeds. Mine were naturally polled & didn't have the long hair like the purebreds do. We all have breeds we think are "worthless" mine are Limousins. :devil2:

I can't answer as I don't know the system of selling in the U.S. selling through the saleyards is terrible I know that the prices are low I also know that if the calves that I sold had have been 15mths - 2yrs & I sold them straight for slaughter to the abbitor(slaughterhouse) I would have got between $ 2.00 - $2.50 kg as this is how we sell our "chopper" cows. The saleyards around here have capped their prices.
Compare this, the local saleyards will sell Jersey cows for $0.50 - $0.90 (working on 50cents) cents per kg lets say the cow weighs around 350kg (770lbs) that leaves us with the grand total of $ 175.00 less yard fees, levies, commission, cartage $77.00.
Lucky to clear $75.00 :???:
Same cow (350kg - 770lbs) sold direct to abbitior (slaughterhouse) for $2.20kg (lowest price we get) for a total $ 875.00 less $30 per head cartage. (a truck load will hold 11 cows)
Selling through the saleyards is not my first choice, however in this case it was the only option I had.

what?":t8nowps8 said:
Loch Valley Fold":t8nowps8 said:
Australian $$
Prices ranged from $1.20 - $1.65 per kg ; weights went from 220kg - 375kg (484 - 825lbs) ages ranged from 8 to 15mths.
i know very little about the cow calf business but how can anyone keep a cow for a year on $191.00 american money? i know highlanders bring little money but $39 cwt for a 5 weight steer seems even low for a highlander. this is a serious question why would anyone continue down this path more than one year in a row?

If they can keep even a small breed for that I wish they would tell the rest of us - I would love to be that low in the expense column. Heck, most people will spend more than that to keep a cat or a dog.

People who do this are not out to make money - it is a tax break or a hobby.

If there are more than 10 people in North America making a living - SOLELY - on these cattle I would be surprised.

Bez+

Highland cattle are bad for feedlot operations, but their beef is good and lean when done on grass. I have read that their hides bring a good price and that the reason why they get low prices is because of the horns. They are suppose to be able to do alright on lower quality feeds. This is just what I've read though. The do gain weight slower than most breeds, especially if done on grass.

Highland cattle are very hearty. They basicly eat like goats. Great cattle to clear out area. The meat is also very good. People buy this meat at a premium, especailly grass fed.

Yes they are slow growing. Butcher our steers around 29 months to keep backbone. They are also slow to start reproducing age 3-4 is normal for first calf heifers, BUT they will produce calves into their twentys.

Latest posts