Feeding heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

B&M Farms

Reaction score
I have 4 Brangus heifers that weigh between 620 and 680lbs I would like to breed in June. What rate of gain could I expect with this feed at 1% of their weight and free choice 11% CP coastal hay?

http://www.lonestarfeed.com/pdffiles/0776.pdf

I don't want to push them too hard but would like to have them weighing at least 800lbs by June so I'm looking at 1.5lbs a day. Thanks.

I believe genetics is going to play a role as much as feed.
How old are your heifers?

I am not that "up" on feeds, in fact I have a lot of questions of my own. But I personally do not believe in feeding "medicated" feed to my personal livestock. I believe that it has it's place in the commercial industry, but not on my farm. :2cents:

They are 9 months and I was just wanting to move them up with my March/April calving cows if possible. I know with the Brahman they may not make it but I thought I might try to have them ready by 13 to 14 months old. If not, I will hold them to fall calve.

branguscowgirl. there is absolutely nothing wrong with having medicated feed. this feed isn't really even a medication. its just bovatec which is basically just a feed to help with feed conversion and gain.

to answer your question just feed at 1% bodyweight. sounds like you have decent protein I. your hay already.

redsimangus":38p3ejih said:
branguscowgirl. there is absolutely nothing wrong with having medicated feed. this feed isn't really even a medication. its just bovatec which is basically just a feed to help with feed conversion and gain.
As I had stated, I am not a feed expert. I have many questions of my own. I saw "Medicated" and that turned me off for feeding to replacement heifers. I understand that you want them to have proper nutrition so that you are not raising dinks, but we also have previously discussed not feeding them to be what they "genetically" are not. I raise seed stock, and want a true representation of what they are as yearlings.

a gain of 1.5 lbs a day shouldn't be too hard to accomplish, they've been gaining around 2 lb/day up til now, so as long as you make up for the lack of milk, they should get to your goal.

I had a late born (May 5th, 2011) heifer that grew really well (Gelbvieh x Saler), she had no trouble being bred at 12 months old.

Don't let anyone tell you that the Brahman in Brangus makes them later maturing. Our younger set of replacements are 10-12 months and on the thin side...they have been cycling for months.

ricebeltrancher":1gvys2u1 said:
Don't let anyone tell you that the Brahman in Brangus makes them later maturing. Our younger set of replacements are 10-12 months and on the thin side...they have been cycling for months.
Yes, my 8 month olds have had a couple cycles. That is not a concern with Brangus. What is a concern is letting their bodies grow prior to pregnancy.