Feeding heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

broncohunter

Reaction score
Im been snooping around a lot and finally decided to join this week. I've been through the search bar and still can't find the info I'm looking for.

I have been kicking around the idea of feeding heifers from 400 to 700. I have access to ddg straight from distillery and plan to mix in cottonseed hulls. Free choice decent hay and mineral. The pasture is at par at best but would have zero land cost for me. Some people have said 2.25lbs are possible, some have said maybe 1.5lbs. I also keeping getting different amounts to feed was planning on 1% to 1.5% body weight a day. I don't live on the property so drive time is involved and would need 2lbs a day to really make it worth it. Thanks in advance for any advice.

How many are you planning on feeding? I'm not well versed in these things at all so I'm probably not much help but it seems the only way to make that sort of thing work is volume, and that takes the inputs to another level, at least to be efficient.

Your supplementation levels sound high. There are studies on the internet for DDG supplementing pasture. The one I recall was from Nebraska, and their data said supplementing DDG was more cost effective than buying fertilizer for the grass.

I was thinking about doing 20. I just didn't know if hay and ddg would be possible for 2lbs a day. The pasture is over grown from where my grandpa sold the last of his cows in 2008. The property is untouched since then.

I think if the heifers are out of good genetics and growthy, you might get close to 2#. You probably already know this but sulfur toxicity is something to watch for if you feed them pretty hard. We've used DDG on our heifers a few times but more as a supplement to keep them going up rather than trying to push them to gain a lot of weight. Are you wanting to feed terminal cross type heifers or replacements?

Would it be worth buying 10-15 bulls at say 300-400 lbs. Cut vaccinate and get them on feed and bring them up to say 550-600 lbs and dump them. I've got plenty of hay will be buying a 3 way mix of corn soy hulls and corn gluten. Been tossing this idea around trying to make a a few bucks. I've already have the facility to do it just curious if it's worth while

ricebeltrancher":2k3k7d6t said:
I think if the heifers are out of good genetics and growthy, you might get close to 2#. You probably already know this but sulfur toxicity is something to watch for if you feed them pretty hard. We've used DDG on our heifers a few times but more as a supplement to keep them going up rather than trying to push them to gain a lot of weight. Are you wanting to feed terminal cross type heifers or replacements?

Planning on terminal cross type. If I was going to replacements I wouldn't push them so hard. My thoughts are that this would be the cheapest way into cattle. I would have a cash flow at least couple times a year. I wouldn't have to wait for calves then sell them. It would put couple years before getting your money back if it goes right, then make money.

broncohunter":2m1sxy5i said:
ricebeltrancher":2m1sxy5i said:

Planning on terminal cross type. If I was going to replacements I wouldn't push them so hard. My thoughts are that this would be the cheapest way into cattle. I would have a cash flow at least couple times a year. I wouldn't have to wait for calves then sell them. It would put couple years before getting your money back if it goes right, then make money.
Straight DDG has too much protein to be fed as the sole source of feed unless you really restrict the amount you feed. Mix it one part DDG and 2 parts corn and you'll still have a 15% ration with excellent energy and will give you a greater daily weight gain. You might look at adding other by-products to make a more balanced ration. Forget the CS hulls and feed hay/grazing for roughage.

TexasBred":15a3211a said:
broncohunter":15a3211a said:
ricebeltrancher":15a3211a said:

Straight DDG has too much protein to be fed as the sole source of feed unless you really restrict the amount you feed. Mix it one part DDG and 2 parts corn and you'll still have a 15% ration with excellent energy and will give you a greater daily weight gain. You might look at adding other by-products to make a more balanced ration. Forget the CS hulls and feed hay/grazing for roughage.

Would hay be enough since the pasture isn't much? I plan on working on the pasture this fall. Do you think 2 lbs a day would be possible with a different ration?

Hay should be more than enough and if they are on pasture you'll soon have grazing. Two pounds is obtainable but will require 10-12 lbs. of grain mix per day plus the hay. All depends on how good the grain mix is.

broncohunter":2xn8n7m2 said:
TexasBred":2xn8n7m2 said:
broncohunter":2xn8n7m2 said:

Would hay be enough since the pasture isn't much? I plan on working on the pasture this fall. Do you think 2 lbs a day would be possible with a different ration?

http://beefextension.com/files/OSU_Rati ... _2013.xlsx

TexasBred":3393ij5p said:
broncohunter":3393ij5p said:
ricebeltrancher":3393ij5p said:

What form should the corn come in? Rolled? Cracked? Chops? What other byproducts would make it more balanced? More specifically if I was wanting to fill a creep feeder and feed it free choice to add pounds to calves that are still on mom's milk and pasture before going to the sale. I just filled my buggy with a ton of 4 way mix that's 40% Soy Bean Hull Pellets, 30% Corn Gluten Pellets, 20% Wheat Midd Pellets and 10% Rolled Corn. Would I be better off tweaking this mix a little by adding ddg in it and could it be fed free choice?

Nothing wrong with that mix at all. A little high in soyhulls but they are very digestible and have good energy levels. Calves should do well on the mix.

TexasBred":1pcm0svr said:
That thing should be enough to make you pull your hair out.

I assume that you are talking about the spreadsheet. I really couldn't make much of it knowing as little as I do. I think it has as lot of information just have to figure out all the abbreviations.

broncohunter":r4hb609i said:
TexasBred":r4hb609i said:
That thing should be enough to make you pull your hair out.

I assume that you are talking about the spreadsheet. I really couldn't make much of it knowing as little as I do. I think it has as lot of information just have to figure out all the abbreviations.
Yes it's a pain

TexasBred":3t2fz47s said:
Nothing wrong with that mix at all. A little high in soyhulls but they are very digestible and have good energy levels. Calves should do well on the mix.
Thanks TB. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

Latest posts