feeding hay

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338":283tukd0 said:
the cows are sucking the hay up good this year.80 cows an calves are eating 6 by 5 bale a day.we put out 6 bales at a time.so that should last them 6 or 7 days.are yalls cows eating alot of hay this year.

Ours are eating like crazy and are all wooly as bears. Makes me ponder about what kind of weather's headed our way this year.

here in north east texas we are getting some cold nites an days.an then it bounces back to the 60s or 70s for a day or 2.the cows are still going to pasture to graze wich is good.

I try to feed enough bales so every thing can get to the hay at once. THen when it runs out, skip a day or two (if weather permits) before I feed again. Keeps them from getting spoiled.

Don't have any of those fancy hay rings... but this year I have found myself kicking it back on a pile. :) Can't afford to waist it this year.

Must be nice to start feeding in December! I started the first week in October. I have to agree though my are cows are fat pigs. Last year we fed about 10-12 bales a week but this year we're feeding 12-16 bales a week. I can't figure this out, we had 55 cows last year and this year we have only 43. :? I can't see the weather having any affect because October and November were the warmest months I've seen in a long time. Hopefully the next couple of months, they slow down or my large surplus of hay will be gone. :cry2:

Mine have slowed down on the hay in the last week or so since we got this cold weather. They eat less hay with 25 degrees and dry than they do at 38 degrees and rain soaking them to the hide. They were going through more than I normally expect but I think part of this is the guy I bought this from made lighter bales. But, lesson learned I wont be buying hay from him again.

Dave":1smvo5eb said:
Mine have slowed down on the hay in the last week or so since we got this cold weather. They eat less hay with 25 degrees and dry than they do at 38 degrees and rain soaking them to the hide. They were going through more than I normally expect but I think part of this is the guy I bought this from made lighter bales. But, lesson learned I wont be buying hay from him again.
If the hay is good their isn't a reason you couldn't buy from him again. Just buy by weight and a forage test. If he doesn't go for that then look for another seller.

jka: Don't know what your bales weigh, but if they are standard round bales at 1100 lb. at 12-16 bales a week for 43 cows that is 43.85-58.47 lb./cow/day? Don't know if a cow could get 58 lb. of dry hay in her guts!
Again don't know your circumstances but feeding from Oct. 7 to May 15 is 221 days. If you bought your hay for 3 cents a lb. it would cost you $290- $387/cow?
In todays tough times that is a pretty hard cost to take? Maybe you should try to find a way to lower your feed costs?

I'm wondering if there is anyone out there that has not started feeding hay yet. I'm interested in alternate strategies such as rotational grazing or using standing hay. I'm not interested in getting in a fight, but I would sincerely like to hear about successful alternative to cutting down on the use of hay. I realize this likely won't be applicable to those of you from northern climes but what about those of you, like myself, that live in more moderate climes.
'

We pu t out hay a couple of days ago when we were supposed to get a big ice/snow sotrm. Cows just started eating it this morning. Most of them haven;t touched the hay and went back out on the stockpiled grass. If we don;t get the evil ice/snow that they're talking about we'll have enough grass till the middle of january. That's whitout touching the 15 acres we have stockpiled as a calving pasture this year.

nap":264lp3lo said:
I'm wondering if there is anyone out there that has not started feeding hay yet. I'm interested in alternate strategies such as rotational grazing or using standing hay. I'm not interested in getting in a fight, but I would sincerely like to hear about successful alternative to cutting down on the use of hay. I realize this likely won't be applicable to those of you from northern climes but what about those of you, like myself, that live in more moderate climes.
'

I haven't really started feeding yet the only reason I fed this week was we had some ice on the grass and the temps got down in the low teens with highs around 20 if the weather holds and I didn't get any snow or ice I have enough grass not to have to feed all winter

Angus Cowman":v3ou7iyb said:
nap":v3ou7iyb said:
'

I haven't really started feeding yet the only reason I fed this week was we had some ice on the grass and the temps got down in the low teens with highs around 20 if the weather holds and I didn't get any snow or ice I have enough grass not to have to feed all winter

I don;t think you ir I are going to be able to count on the weather liars being wrong to the good side for us for much longer.

Angus Cowman":35sdcixt said:
I know Dun, but can't we Hope"pray" for 40 degree nites and 60 degree days and 1" of rain every week
We can hope for a lot better calf prices too, but I don;t think either one is going to happen. Probably a btter chance with your choice of weather then the calf prices though

dun":3dzw7bb8 said:
Angus Cowman":3dzw7bb8 said:
I know Dun, but can't we Hope"pray" for 40 degree nites and 60 degree days and 1" of rain every week
We can hope for a lot better calf prices too, but I don;t think either one is going to happen. Probably a btter chance with your choice of weather then the calf prices though
I ain't worried about the calf prices I already figured it out all I need to make money is $.50 pr lb from a 6 wt to make it and then I will be rolling in the dough might even be able to quit doing all the custom work I do also if I can get this for them

Nesikep":27axyi2f said:
.. yes, they make our cat look like a hard worker

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: My cat must be kin to yours. Seems he works so hard he has to sleep all day to rest up.

nap":2all9leu said:
'
I didn't know how to put my previous post in here but its on page 1 of this thread, I'm on the opposite side of the state in Lee county. If you have enough acres running 1 head to 1 acre of wheat will almost feed them completely but if you don't have enough for that you can at least supplement them some with wheat, oats or ryegrass.

Even though there is plenty of grass left I'm putting out hay this afternoon. Snow, sleet, temps in the single digits with windchills in the minus double digits fro the next several days. Just as soon not have them have to cover as much ground to get their bellys full. Yup, I'm spoiling them.

dun":2xp7g8zz said:
Even though there is plenty of grass left I'm putting out hay this afternoon. Snow, sleet, temps in the single digits with windchills in the minus double digits fro the next several days. Just as soon not have them have to cover as much ground to get their bellys full. Yup, I'm spoiling them.
Now Dun the weather idiots said it was going to be cold but they believe the storms and bad weather will be North of us even North of you and you know they are never wrong so don't be wastin that good hay

Angus Cowman":27h0ihpx said:
dun":27h0ihpx said:
Now Dun the weather idiots said it was going to be cold but they believe the storms and bad weather will be North of us even North of you and you know they are never wrong so don't be wastin that good hay

Doens;t matter much, they're ignoring it and are out grazing anyway.

They've got to get it right one of these times. Just hope they aren;t wrong in the ugly direction though.

dun":3mgjsx8s said:
Angus Cowman":3mgjsx8s said:
dun":3mgjsx8s said:

Doens;t matter much, they're ignoring it and are out grazing anyway.

They've got to get it right one of these times. Just hope they aren;t wrong in the ugly direction though.

I have a feeling that those cows will get on that hay real soon unless their grazing winter rye or clover.