Feeding Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I turned my herd (10 head) into winter pasture (mostly fescue) a month or so ago. There is plenty of grass to go around and it should last awhile. What I would like to know is as long as there is not snow or ice covering the ground, do I still need to feed hay? I have been feeding and they have been going thru 2-4x4 round bales a week. Can they get the nutrients they need on grass, along with the loose mineral and protein tub I have out for them?

A lot depends on what they are. Cows getting close to calving, weaned steers, bred heifers, etc.
But, stockpiled fescue is actually not to bad a winter forage, with the supplement tub it should be adequate unless these are youngsters. If you have any snow or ice or wet very cold windchills, a little corn might help. It provides energy that the can burn up pretty fast trying to stay warm. Body condition also enters into the picture. Lots of variables but by keeping a close eye on there condition you can pretty well determine if they're getting the required nutrition. Some cows will eat nasty half rotten hay before they'll eat stockpiled fescue. Others would rather graze the fescue then eat alfalfa. Depends on the quality of the fescue and what the cows are conditioned to.

dun

Any opinion on winter rye grass? I was considering planting a 5 acre sub pasture in rye next fall to help supplement the feeding next winter. I would still feed coastal burmuda but wouldnt give them 24/7 access to the coastal as they have now. The rye would be overseeded in what would then be a dormant coastal field. Does rye provide any nutritional benefits, and any idea what the protein content would be on average? The coastal rolls I have been buying have 14.9% protein per the sellers certified analysis from Texas A & M. Any thoughts?

I live in central Tx and plant the whole place in rye grass. It sure saves alot in hay cost and the cows get fat in the spring.
Tod

Where are you getting your hay?

Anonymous":lis394nj said:
I live in central Tx and plant the whole place in rye grass. It sure saves alot in hay cost and the cows get fat in the spring.
Tod

You plant the whole thing in rye grass or overseed in rye grass? If you plant the whole thing, what do you do in the summer and fall?

PLANTING 5 ACRES OF RYE GRASS WILL HELP ON A HAY BILL. IF YOU PLAN TO OVER SEED YOUR RYE GRASS I RECOMEND THROWING AN EXTRA 10 T0 15 LBS OF SEED PER ACRE. IN FIVE ACRES YOU'RE LOOKING AT AN EXTRA SACK. AFTER SEEDING I SHRED THE PASTURE. THE VIBRATION OF THE SHREDDER HELPS MORE OF THE SEEDS MAKE IT MAKE IT ALL THE WAY TO THE GROUND AND THE CUT GRASS HELPS SERVE AS A MULCH FOR THE SEEDS TO GET STARTED. *NOTE: I'M SHREDDING GRASS THATS ABOUT 6 TO 7 INCHES TALL. TALL GRASS WILL LEAVE YOU WITH A BLANKET OF ROTTING HAY AND THATS NOT GOOD.* WITH THIS METHOD I END UP WITH ALMOST AS GOOD OF A STAND THEN IF I WOULD HAVE PLOWED, AND MY SUMMER GRASS ISN'T AS SET BACK.
MY NEIGHBOR HAS A PASTURE OF WELL FERTILIZED RYE GRASS THAT TESTED 16%.

HOPE THIS HELPS

Anonymous":3mmq5c9y said:
Tod

I am buying big 5X6 rolls of coastal burmuda from a large ranch in Ponder, TX, just south of Denton. He told me he puts like 400 lbs of nitrogen / acre and gets about 3 cuttings each yr, depending on the rainfall. He will provide a analysis for each cutting he does. Always around 14-16%! I pay $30 a roll and I pick up 3 rolls at a time on my 16' trailer, we lay them crossways and then put a railroad tie at the back and I havent had a problem hauling them back yet!
I can find hay a little cheaper thats a little closer to me, but the seller hasn't had it tested and it doesn't look nearly a fresh as this hay I am getting. Cows seem to like this stuff.

Curious, has anyone else had the problem of the site not logging them in automatically on each visit? I noticed that the first post had me listed as a guest, so I must of forgotten to log in. I have the box checked for automatic login, but it seems to forget sometimes. Don't really want to bother Macon with this, he probably has enough on his plate just keeping this site going.

I guess I have a similar problem Eric. My first two posts were accepted and my username was shown. But ever since then I can't figure out what the hell I'm doing wrong --- when I log in and then try to post the software always tells me something like "that user name has already been taken", or words to that effect. I KNOW it's been taken because I am the one that originally took it!!! Anyway, now I just post as a guest and type my name afterward. Regards, Arnold Ziffle

Latest posts