Feeding hay

Help Support CattleToday:

alabama

Reaction score
Getting Ready to move a roll with the tumblebug,
OOPs a neck breaker. Sorry

abbieshakespearefestival_032.jpg

Hungry cows. She is fat but only dry grass and hay when the grass died in the drought all summer.

abbieshakespearefestival_047.jpg

A young New Day bull. He is about 11 months

abbieshakespearefestival_040.jpg

How does the young lady feel about you calling her "tumble bug"? :lol:

cfpinz

Jogeephus":22clzu81 said:
Your cows don't look like they have been missing any meals.

Good to have a willing helper too.

Thay had rye grass hay most of the summer. I have just started back feeding hay a week ago but we are on the summer grass hay now. We have a few calves now but I expect the bulk of them next week. With poor summer hay I may have to start feeding cotton seed to keep them in shape while raising calves this winter.
Have you priced cotton seed this fall. Bulk is up to $200 a ton at the ginn. 3 years back I bought it for $65 a ton. With corn at $3.75 I think I can get corn cheaper but it is harder to feed.

Haven't priced cotton seed but that is about right on the corn from what I've seen.

Did see something encouraging the other day, guy had some big 4x6's of what looked to be fairly decent hay advertised for $25/roll. So maybe the hay shortage isn't going to be as bad as we think and people will start letting some of it go and drive the price down some.

People are baling peanut hay here now. Looks to be good yield and the dry weather is perfect for this.

Round 4X6 hay that they are calling horse hay in the barn at the feed store is $90 a roll. I bout fell out when I over heard that price Saturday morning. Cheap hay is $45 a roll and desent cow hay is running $55 to $65. But then we are in the heart of the drought.

alabama":3ush1e0y said:
Round 4X6 hay that they are calling horse hay in the barn at the feed store is $90 a roll. I bout fell out when I over heard that price Saturday morning. Cheap hay is $45 a roll and desent cow hay is running $55 to $65. But then we are in the heart of the drought.

That's gotta hurt. Do you have any cotton gins around? A few years ago I was short and got some gin trash. Cows wouldn't touch the hay as long as they had this to eat on. I got it free plus the cost of delivery. Gin was more than happy to get rid of it.

Jogeephus":31jhqp77 said:
alabama":31jhqp77 said:

That's gotta hurt. Do you have any cotton gins around? A few years ago I was short and got some gin trash. Cows wouldn't touch the hay as long as they had this to eat on. I got it free plus the cost of delivery. Gin was more than happy to get rid of it.

Yes we have a gin 2 miles down the road but I made enough hay this year to make it through the winter so I don't have to buy hay. I will need some corn though to feed out some bull calves.

John, your cows always look good. I am glad to hear you got enough hay for the winter.

I am picking up another 12 rolls this weekend and another 12 in a few weeks if I think I need it.I will buy some soy hull pellets if I need to this fall and winter. I sure am glad I left the 6 acres of Bahia grow and not bale it, the cows are cleaning it up good and it should last another 2 weeks.

I planted some rye and oats, and I sure hope the weather people are wrong for a change and we get some winter rains.

That bull is a fine looking critter too.

Do you folks always stand on the side of hills for pictures?

Nice pic's though. I think I could make a tumble bug if I had more pictures. :lol:

flaboy":10rg9wal said:
Nice pic's though. I think I could make a tumble bug if I had more pictures. :lol:

I am sure you could make one. start with an old hous trailer axel with breaks on it. Mine has long loas the break pads so i use a concrete block to load and un load but breaks would make it easer.
I should try and get some pictures.

cfpinz":29mdefo6 said:
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a cotton gin?

cfpinz

Quit askin' all these questions! Some of these folks is gonna think all of us up here is plumb ignert!
Everybody knows that a cotton gin is a beverage - it'll get ya' drunk- just look at them pictures bama posted, he'd have to be drinkin' to lean like that!

C HOLLAND":jfkupq8y said:
John, your cows always look good. I am glad to hear you got enough hay for the winter.

I am picking up another 12 rolls this weekend and another 12 in a few weeks if I think I need it.I will buy some soy hull pellets if I need to this fall and winter. I sure am glad I left the 6 acres of Bahia grow and not bale it, the cows are cleaning it up good and it should last another 2 weeks.

I planted some rye and oats, and I sure hope the weather people are wrong for a change and we get some winter rains.

That bull is a fine looking critter too.

I had the pastures driled in rye a few days ago but it sure is dry. I could sure use a shower to get it up.
glad you have plenty of hay. that winter grazing will help alot too.

Bullbuyer":cyeheugd said:
cfpinz":cyeheugd said:
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a cotton gin?

cfpinz

Quit askin' all these questions! Some of these folks is gonna think all of us up here is plumb ignert!
Everybody knows that a cotton gin is a beverage - it'll get ya' drunk- just look at them pictures bama posted, he'd have to be drinkin' to lean like that!

It'll get ya drunk and leave you with the cottonmouth the next day! That first pictute ought to look normal to you, we all know folks from WV have one leg longer than the other from walkin all those hillsides.

cfpinz

alabama":2fz5fk6u said:
flaboy":2fz5fk6u said:

I am sure you could make one. start with an old hous trailer axel with breaks on it. Mine has long loas the break pads so i use a concrete block to load and un load but breaks would make it easer.
I should try and get some pictures.

Ya know you can get the whole brake backing plate with new shoes, levers, slack adjusters, and magnets for like $30 or so each at Trailer Wheel and Frame. I just replaced mine last year. Trailer brakes are pretty standardized for the axle size (usually 3500 pound axles on tumblebugs/bumper pull trailers) and although I had to drill the bolt holes out a bit they work great. A properly working tumblebug is a handy tool to have!

Good luck! OL JR :)

Latest posts