Feeding hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Precipitation can soften up old coarse grass and make it more palatable. They need protein to be able to digest dormant grass well. If you can find a protein source to supplement, they will make good use of dormant forages. I will bump them with about 10 pounds of alfalfa every couple of days or about 2.5 pounds of 23-28% cake every day and they stay in good condition until calving in March. Once calves start dropping I bump the alfalfa to 15-20 pounds per day and they do fine. We don't get much grass growth until late April.

My neighbour is feeding square bales this year. But his go through a TMR. I'm curious to hear how the bales survived being rained on before some of them were brought in off the field.
He wasn't completely sold on the baler last I talked to him. Loved hauling them on the highway, didn't like how slow you have to travel while baling, the surge you felt in the tractor from the packers, the horsepower required, the high maintenance, etc. Be interesting to see if he does it another year.
If you're in a rainy area like we are here, squares have to be in a shed or under tarp, or they'll be junk. I've made lots of them. Anything outside is junk. Rounds we can get away with pretty easily.

If you're in a rainy area like we are here, squares have to be in a shed or under tarp, or they'll be junk. I've made lots of them. Anything outside is junk. Rounds we can get away with pretty easily.
We are not considered a rainy area, I think 16" average annual precip, which includes snow. Neighbour does cover his bales, but they did get a few inches of rain on some before they were brought in to the stacks. Not sure how they faired, I'll try to remember to ask him at some point.

Latest posts