feeding hay in summer

Help Support CattleToday:

longhornlover3498

Reaction score
one of our neighbors down the road told us to start giving our calving cows hay becuase the cows will produce more milk and the calves should grow better. is this true? also which salt block would be best for new mothers?

longhornlover3498":33schtux said:
one of our neighbors down the road told us to start giving our calving cows hay becuase the cows will produce more milk and the calves should grow better. is this true? also which salt block would be best for new mothers?

I will let others elaborate but, it would depend on the quality and quantity of your grass. Grass is the #1 ingredient for milk production. Other than extreme drought, I wouldn't own cattle if I had to feed them this time of year. Maybe your cows are poor and he thinks they need to be fed?

Throw your "salt blocks" out and put the cattle on a good loose mineral program... :2cents:

There's really no way to assess such generalities. Some grass is better than some hay. Some hay is better than some grass. It depends on both. Cows need nutrition - not "grass" or "hay" or "grain" - they need nutrition. Your grass may be better than your hay so if you gave hay, you might be pushing them backwards. If you don't have enough grass - or the grass has become old and stalky, they may need some hay - good hay - not dead stalky grass hay like may already be in the field or you might not do any good with the hay either. Know your grass, know your hay, and know what your cattle need for their daily nutritive sustenance and give it to them if you can.

cows are in great condition right now. grass is still very thick. they have been on the same pasture since last july and the grass just keeps growing! calves are enormous as well. our first one was born in early april and hes as big or bigger as the angus calves that were born in feb. i think that guy just said that because he doesnt our spotted cows.

longhornlover3498":1fygfk0e said:
cows are in great condition right now. grass is still very thick. they have been on the same pasture since last july and the grass just keeps growing! calves are enormous as well. our first one was born in early april and hes as big or bigger as the angus calves that were born in feb. i think that guy just said that because he doesnt our spotted cows.

Your neighbor is full of BS. Sounds like your cows are getting everything they need to milk up to their genetic potenial, execpt as was earilier stated, get rid of the salt blocks and get them on a good, complete, balanced, loose mineral program. BTW, if there is plenty of growing grass, they won't touch the dry hay anyway.

Mid South Guy":2dt3s72z said:
longhornlover3498":2dt3s72z said:

Your neighbor is full of BS. Sounds like your cows are getting everything they need to milk up to their genetic potenial, execpt as was earilier stated, get rid of the salt blocks and get them on a good, complete, balanced, loose mineral program. BTW, if there is plenty of growing grass, they won't touch the dry hay anyway.
what would you reccomend? what brand,type and cost?

when cows are on grass they love the poorest hay you have for some roughage to slow down the rate the grass goes thru them. it also stretches the pastue

I reloaded the hay barn and left a role out from last year's hay. It was still in good shape just couldn't get it all in with new hay. I have excellent grass. I dare say more then most folks. The cows have still eaten some of the hay, the calves have really enjoyed eating from the bail. I guess everybody likes a little variety in the diet.

jerry27150":2sgq2dqn said:
when cows are on grass they love the poorest hay you have for some roughage to slow down the rate the grass goes thru them. it also stretches the pastue

Interesting.

Some times we get a popcorn shower down here in the summer time when we are rolling hay. If its a big one and we still have hay down, we will put it out in a wash and the cows will usually clean it up by fall.

what I have generally been advised is that hay will lower the quality of the diet. When grass is green and actively growing it is very nutritious and highly digestible so the cow can get every bit of nutrition out of the grass. Hay will slow the gut down and some say help if the grass is passing to fast, but generally I would say if the cattle are growing and milking well then leave it at that.
My cattle are always very dirty and their poo is watery but they perform as good as any in the area.

Latest posts