feeding green wet hay

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
I've got 7 rolls of hybrid Sudan that was rolled up hurriedly before the storm night before.
It only dried about 60 hours and I m sure it's going to mold. Plan on feeding to some cows that are on pretty dry pasture. But it will last the little group. A couple of weeks. That ok or do I need to try to feed it all immediately.

We always tried to feed wet hay within a couple days. It gets pretty rank in a hurry. Dry hay that got rained on acts a whole lot different than hay that was baled green. That green stuff will catch fire in the right conditions.....been plenty of barns burn down around here because of it.

M-5":18b8yz56 said:
when it smell like cured tobacco put it out to feed . they will eat every stem

It already smells like tobacco. I just set a roll out and they went at it like greybeard and bluebell ice cream. I hate to feed it to cows that don't need it. I got this on little group living on a pile of rocks. You think it'll be ok to stretch it out over a couple weeks.

yes , it will be fine IMO . when you set it out cut string and unroll it as long and its not black and not dusty from mold it will be fine . keep it away from barns and equipment it could combust if it gets to hot