Feeding for butcher

Help Support CattleToday:

skeege

Reaction score
When feeding out steers for butcher, is undigested corn in their pies a sign that they are getting more grain than they can use at one feeding?

undigested corn in the manure pile means theres to much corn in their feed.an they arnt digesting it an breaking it down.wich means cut the corn back some in the feed ration.

It just means that the undigestable parts are passing through big enough that you can see it. If you fed ground corn you wouldn;t see it but it would still be there

dun":2li426fi said:
It just means that the undigestable parts are passing through big enough that you can see it. If you fed ground corn you wouldn;t see it but it would still be there

This is exactly right.

dun":dhah9t4s said:

Would ground be the same as cracked?

I was told that the kernal has to be cracked so that the kernal can be digested , when we cut corn silage we set the rolls so all the kernals are cracked.

c farmer":cgm9909q said:
I was told that the kernal has to be cracked so that the kernal can be digested , when we cut corn silage we set the rolls so all the kernals are cracked.

There is only about 7-8% difference in digestibility between whole and cracked and another 7-8% percent between cracked and ground.. Cracking adds cost, grinding adds even more. The differencer siize mostly affects the speed the corn is digested rather then the percentage digested. Ground can cause a starch overload.

what?":1llk1owh said:
skeege":1llk1owh said:
When feeding out steers for butcher, is undigested corn in their pies a sign that they are getting more grain than they can use at one feeding?
NO IT JUST MEENS YOU CAN SEE CORN IN THE MANURE

yep
seen a program on rfd tv about a dairy and they were concerned that the corn was not being utilized by the cattle, so they took the manure to a lab and determined that was NOT the case.
you could just see the hull of the corn in the manure, but the actual corn was being digested.

Not trying to be nasty here but the next time you eat alot of corn look in the pot after dropping a deuce.I hope that took care of your ??.

Latest posts