Feeding flax seed

Help Support CattleToday:

lynn from mo

Reaction score
This months" Missouri Ruralist" Had an article about feeding flax seed to increase omega "3" the last 60 days on feed, but they did not say how much to feed. Does anybody know how much and what form of flax seed to feed?

I really don't know and honestly didn't even know you could give flax seed to cattle. Last year at a friends house a horse person came in talking about flax seed. She said give flax seed to make a coat shinny for showing. I ask the same question as to how much, she said just sprinkle a little. I didn't show any of my cattle this year (I was in the hospital) so I didn't try it. I have a good feed program going with my older cows and heifers so I'm just afraid to mess with what's already working for me.

i remember reading about a goat farm that was using it pretty heavily to improve carcass quality.

Check out Kansas State University and North Dakota State University. Both have done research on feeding flax to cattle. Supposed to improve grades on finished cattle. Still learning exactly how much and how long, but is a good alternative to feeding tallow to increase yield. Better results if rolled or ground. I'm not sure how well flax would go through a hammer-mill.

Latest posts