feeding during drought

Help Support CattleToday:

J

Reaction score
As everyone in Texas knows we are in pretty shape as far as pastures go and hay is starting to get a little scarce, at least for the guy that only wants to buy a round bale or two at a time.

What are some suggestions on supplements. I know the normal hay, clean water, salt and minerals but as far as out of a sack, what is a good cheap feed that will meet the needs of bred cows. Just looking for advice as to what to feed to cut down on hay but maybe it would just be cheaper to keep going with hay.

Corn?(cracked or whole) Oats? Range Cubes? Sweet Feed? Pelleted type stuff? Just a few off the top of my head.

Not looking to spend alot but I only have three bred cows right now that should calve in the next 2-3 months and so feeding out of a sack right now might not break me?

What do ya'll think/suggest?

J":18dox2ek said:
As everyone in Texas knows we are in pretty shape as far as pastures go and hay is starting to get a little scarce, at least for the guy that only wants to buy a round bale or two at a time.

What are some suggestions on supplements. I know the normal hay, clean water, salt and minerals but as far as out of a sack, what is a good cheap feed that will meet the needs of bred cows. Just looking for advice as to what to feed to cut down on hay but maybe it would just be cheaper to keep going with hay.

Corn?(cracked or whole) Oats? Range Cubes? Sweet Feed? Pelleted type stuff? Just a few off the top of my head.

Not looking to spend alot but I only have three bred cows right now that should calve in the next 2-3 months and so feeding out of a sack right now might not break me?

Cargill Liquid Supplement really will strctch that hay.

Caustic Burno":11sora94 said:
J":11sora94 said:

Cargill Liquid Supplement really will strctch that hay.

Maybe a stupid question but never heard of the stuff. Where can I get it?
:oops: :oops:

Purina makes a protien block that you can put out for them and not have to feed them every day. We use them to help our cows during the winter.

J,

Cargill Liquid Supplement is best liquid feed on the market (I sell it, so I believe in it!), but with only 3 cows, it doesn't sound practical to me...you'd need a feeder and a full feeder would take about a year or more for them to eat. If they're in good condition and just need to maintain, keep good quality hay and some type of protein supplement going in to them....cubes, protein blocks, etc. and you should be ok.

If you're really trying to stretch hay, cubes are probably your best alternative. Some of the protein supplements will actually make them eat more hay. With cubes, at least you're giving them some extra fiber.

I usually don't feed cubes, but I'm feeding them this year for the same reason you're talking about---trying to make it on what little hay I've got. Feeding sorry hay for two days and then 5 or 6 pounds of 38% cubes on day three and letting them get out and hunt something to go with the cubes. So far, so good. Except for the cost. :mad:

I've gotten away from range cubes and have been feeding Pilgrim's 2-1 range meal free choice. It's 27% protein and 30% salt. Cows are consuming about 2 lbs./hd/day. Still using range cubes about once a week just to keep them coming up for counting. But I like the range meal because it gives the cows lower down on the pecking order some supplementation also. Cost is about $11/cwt.

CJ

bullred":18307o6p said:
I've gotten away from range cubes and have been feeding Pilgrim's 2-1 range meal free choice. It's 27% protein and 30% salt. Cows are consuming about 2 lbs./hd/day. Still using range cubes about once a week just to keep them coming up for counting. But I like the range meal because it gives the cows lower down on the pecking order some supplementation also. Cost is about $11/cwt.

CJ

J

If 2-1 range meal is not available you can make your own. Just mix 2 bags cottonseed meal and 1 bag of pure (not mineral) salt.

Regards

Brock

Thanks everyone.. :D

I know on here most discourage keeping horses and cattle together, but mine seem to do ok. I have a front section that I can separate them with but I have been keeping all animals off of it hoping for rain and maybe alittle growth that I could put them on. I originally was going to put ryegrass in that area but with no rain in sight I never did so now just hoping for winter grass but nothing to speak of yet.

My question now... is the cottonseed meal bad for horses? I know cubes are and so I have to keep an eye on that but I have been feeding cubes in my catch pen, kind of killing two birds with one stone. :)

I'm in the Same kind of situation. We had a Drought last year here in Eastern Ia. Right now My cows are running out in Corn Stalks and hay stubble. Not a lot of feed value in either of them this time of year. My one herd in in their 3rd Trimester and their needs are growing. I've been giving them some 250lb Protein blocks. I'm not sure if you have the same type in your neck of the woods. Both an excellent source both Protein and Energy. It works if you have some poor roughage like my corn stalks.

Cost wise it is hard to beat shelled corn right now. It was down to 1.45/ bu. at harvest time. I think it is near 2.00/bu. now. Still very cheap.

ronr":39fhz5k8 said:
I'm in the Same kind of situation. We had a Drought last year here in Eastern Ia. Right now My cows are running out in Corn Stalks and hay stubble. Not a lot of feed value in either of them this time of year. My one herd in in their 3rd Trimester and their needs are growing. I've been giving them some 250lb Protein blocks. I'm not sure if you have the same type in your neck of the woods. Both an excellent source both Protein and Energy. It works if you have some poor roughage like my corn stalks.

Cost wise it is hard to beat shelled corn right now. It was down to 1.45/ bu. at harvest time. I think it is near 2.00/bu. now. Still very cheap.

The price of corn to the feedlot in IA that we shipped a bunch of heifers to just went to $1.85 from $1.70 a month ago

dun

Texan":bocuxyhv said:
If you're really trying to stretch hay, cubes are probably your best alternative. Some of the protein supplements will actually make them eat more hay. With cubes, at least you're giving them some extra fiber.

I usually don't feed cubes, but I'm feeding them this year for the same reason you're talking about---trying to make it on what little hay I've got. Feeding sorry hay for two days and then 5 or 6 pounds of 38% cubes on day three and letting them get out and hunt something to go with the cubes. So far, so good. Except for the cost. :mad:

This is exactly what we do except we use cottonseed cake or peanut cake. Cake is in short supply but it's still cheaper per pound of protein in this part of the world. Anyway, it will do just what Texan says. All that chocolate makes them want some salad real bad. About five pounds per head every two or three days will make them happy to eat the sorry stuff they would have been too proud to consider before.